SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a 66 amazon 4 door that i have owned and been working on for almost 7 years. I recently upgraded the seatbelts to modern aftermarket ones (now that i have a kiddo, for the rear too) and the next area of safety concern for me is the steering column. The steering box has leaked for years, and i'd love to upgrade to the later model (6:cool: collapsible shaft and box for safety. Am i correct that the later box is necessary for the later column? Anyone have the used rig for sale? Or has anyone used aftermarket parts to make this safety upgrade? Funny the things you start caring more about when you become a parent..

·
Registered
404 Posts
As I recall, you need the later box, on my 1800 (typically same/similar components as 122) I was able to connect the upper half of the steering column to the newer box with the collapsible shaft. You will have to research the 122 specifics to make sure.

Best to educate yourself on the adjustment of steering boxes, as many are worn out, indicated by the lack of threads showing on the adjustment screw above the nut. And you don’t want to buy a worn out one.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Is the collapsible section arrangement on the 68+ similar to the one on the 140? If it is, then it might be as simple as checking to see if the splines on the coupling on the steering box input shaft which mates up with the collapsible section fits on to the pre 68 steering box. If so, then perhaps a complete column transplant is possible with the earlier steering box.

As an observation, the 140 style collapsible section is not the greatest. The bushings in the breakaway offset section which provides the collapse function introduce some slop into the steering.

·
Registered
404 Posts
142Guy, good question, the 140 offset style is not the same as an 1800. The 1800 collapsible shaft uses a shaft inside a shaft arrangement, which slides longitudinally to collapse during an front end impact. This comprises the lower half of the steering shaft and the since the 122 and 1800 share a lot of chassis parts, one might conclude that they are interchangeable.

A thorough search of the relevant parts books may provide an answer.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I checked the 122 parts book and the collapsible steering shaft on a 122 is not the same as an 1800 it appears to be similar to the 140 offset style.

http://www.volvoamazonpictures.se/d... 06 Front axle, wheels, hubs and steering.pdf

Also checked the 140 parts book and it appears that the 140 , depending on the year, used both styles of collapsing shafts.

Unfortunately, it also appears that the parts numbers for the equivalent components do not interchange between 122-140-1800.

Looks like the op would need to source a collapsing shaft steering box from a later 122 to retrofit the earlier 122. And also determine that connection between the lower shaft and upper shaft would mate.

Also anyone modifying steering components needs to do their own due diligence to ensure safe operation of their vehicle.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a ‘68 Amazon parts car with a nice tight steering box, complete with the correct offset upper steering column...

I also have a ‘69-‘70 upper column/shroud (with a good side ignition switch/key) which would easily mate with any later-style box.

Any and all For Sale if interested...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you craig300 and 142 guy for your legwork.. my guess was as such that only one from a later 122 would fit.

Yes, due diligence will be done. I've already redone the entire braking system including all new hard lines, mc, calipers, and all the rear business. So diligent it took me almost a year so far! and I've yet to leak test it.

Looks like there's one for sale down here:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow northNH! this may be what I'm looking for. Would you be willing to part with just the box and offset upper column from the parts car? not sure i have space for an entire car at the moment. feel free to PM me to discuss more?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sorry for the confusion from my lack of clarity; I was not offering the whole parts car...

I was offering you from that car the later ‘68 steering box AND a matching upper column, either the usual offset ‘68 version OR the exceedingly rare later (‘69-70) upper column (as shown) with the ignition switch on the right side. Either one will be P&P with the late box box/lower shaft.

I assume we’re talking LHD?
And, where are you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the confusion from my lack of clarity; I was not offering the whole parts car...

I was offering you from that car the later ‘68 steering box AND a matching upper column, either the usual offset ‘68 version OR the exceedingly rare later (‘69-70) upper column (as shown) with the ignition switch on the right side. Either one will be P&P with the late box box/lower shaft.

I assume we’re talking LHD?
And, where are you?
yes! hi, sorry.

yes, left-hand drive.

i am in rhode island.

I'm inclined to take the matching 68 box and column. What would you like for these? I'm sure that we could arrange a trip (to northern NH, i assume?) within a few weeks, or at your convenience. otherwise we go on vacation in october for ten days.

carissa

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm running the collapsible shaft arrangement in my 67, which originally had the straight version. I had to replace the column anyways when I ditched the automatic transmission. Everything bolts up fine if you have the upper shaft, lower shaft, and box.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Good afternoon Carissa,

Did you know that this Sunday is Swedish Car Day at the Larz Anderson Museum in Boston?
A big deal for vintage Volvo folks...

I’ll be there, hope we can talk.
It’s closer to you than to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

I think we will try to go this year. Last time I went was probably 2007 or so! I will be bringing the 240 as the Amazon is still unregistered. (Long story; block on VIN at RI DMV for an inspection failure. Have since done the work, but now need to slog though the process.)

Dark gray 240 sedan with Virgos. I'll be a blonde woman with a tall man and a small child.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
may not get a spot on the lawn, but hoping we can find you anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi NorthNH,

We were there at SCD but I guess didn’t run into you- I suppose I should have asked what car you were bringing, or even a name so I could look on the tags. Oh, well.

I’m still very interested in the steering box and column(s). If you’d still like to sell them, i’d love to arrange something.

Carissa

·
Registered
404 Posts
In the works...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts