SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my steering has been binding when I first start the car after it has been sitting. It is easy to turn for a few degrees, binds, then easy then binds. I don't think it is my rack as it is not leaking and there has been no fluid loss.

I sprayed PB Blaster on the U joint underneath at the firewall and in the boot at firewall inside the cabin. This seems to return things to normal for a bit, but then the problem returns.

I have read that the plastic bushing in the rubber boot at the firewall can cause this, but I can't seem to find a part number for a replacement. I have found the boot, but can't figure out if it comes with the bushing or not. I have also read that there is an updated part with a bushing that has bearings in it?

Anyone have any idea what I might do to solve this?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Flush your power steering.Use at least 1Qt.Pentosin fluid.probably better using 2QTs if you are not cheap.Write ups are available around the web.
It is good practice to do this every couple of years. When I did this service the 1st time I had the same problem as you have.It fixed mine.And btw,my car that I did it to is the same as your car.I now do this to my present S60 every fall because it is easy and it is cheap insurance.Ps racks last forever if they are serviced.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think this is related to the rack though I am sure a fluid flush couldn't hurt. I thought the PS fluid was just ATF, however?

I think the binding may be the steering coupling. I am going to have to get underneath and take a look tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Steering U Joint probably needs replacing. It's rather inexpensive and takes about an hour labor at a shop. I literally just had mine done a couple days ago because my steering went numb

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that is what I am leaning towards as well. I am about to order the part and hopefully install it next week.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
955 Posts
My vote is on u-joint as well.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to order one now and see if I can get it here in time for the weekend. Lubing this thing each time I drive the car is annoying. I will update when I get it done.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to order one now and see if I can get it here in time for the weekend. Lubing this thing each time I drive the car is annoying. I will update when I get it done.
Wanted to close the loop...

It was the u joint. Replaced it and the steering is back to working properly.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts