SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I just purchased a 2008 S80 V8 with 65k miles on it. A few things I've noticed on it:
1) I have it set to the steering option that allows for minimal resistance but notice that it sometimes moves to the most difficult steering option without being changed by me. Is this common and indicative of a problem?

2) when I change suspension modes from comfort, sport and advanced, I don't notice much of a difference. Is the difference significantly noticeable for a person who isn't a car suspension expert?

3) it seems that transmission issues could come up at some point based on all that I've read, at what mileage or age of the car might I start to get a bit more nervous about that?

I love driving this car more than any car I've ever had! It's so smooth and comfortable and that V8 sure is smooth! Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge with me.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I think if you have 4C(which you do) then you get speed sensitive steering. Could explain why it's harder to steer at times?

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Hello. I just purchased a 2008 S80 V8 with 65k miles on it. A few things I've noticed on it:
1) I have it set to the steering option that allows for minimal resistance but notice that it sometimes moves to the most difficult steering option without being changed by me. Is this common and indicative of a problem?

2) when I change suspension modes from comfort, sport and advanced, I don't notice much of a difference. Is the difference significantly noticeable for a person who isn't a car suspension expert?

3) it seems that transmission issues could come up at some point based on all that I've read, at what mileage or age of the car might I start to get a bit more nervous about that?

I love driving this car more than any car I've ever had! It's so smooth and comfortable and that V8 sure is smooth! Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge with me.
2) Advanced should be noticeably firmer on bumpy roads. Sport and Comfort are very similar.
3) The iffy transmission valve bodies were on early 07 models only, your 08 should be good for 200K+ miles no sweat.

·
Registered
683 Posts
when I change suspension modes from comfort, sport and advanced, I don't notice much of a difference. Is the difference significantly noticeable for a person who isn't a car suspension expert?
This one made me chuckle. I had the discussion recently with my wife, and she claimed she couldn't tell a difference between the modes. I told her my perception was that they were all significantly different. She put me to the test by covering the console and randomly selecting modes. After I answered correctly about 15 times, she conceded that I knew what I was talking about. :p

I'm not a suspension engineer, but I'm probably in the minority.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
This one made me chuckle. I had the discussion recently with my wife, and she claimed she couldn't tell a difference between the modes. I told her my perception was that they were all significantly different. She put me to the test by covering the console and randomly selecting modes. After I answered correctly about 15 times, she conceded that I knew what I was talking about. :p

I'm not a suspension engineer, but I'm probably in the minority.
my wife used my car for a week while hers was down waiting for a door lock actuator. I moved it from sport to comfort and back and she said she didn't notice it. I had it in comfort and drove over a wavy part of the highway in comfort. Thought I was in an old Buick. Moved it back to sport pronto.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Congrats on the blind test results for the suspension! Funny that I can't tell the difference but I have been accused of being insensitive before so that could have something to do with it.

Regarding the possibility of speed control steering adjustment, I'm thinking that may not be what's happening because the steering gets noticeably tighter when I'm slowly maneuvering around a parking lot when I would think that an auto-adjust steering would make it easier to turn when in that scenario.

Thanks again for your answers. It's great to be a part of this site and I promise not to abuse it but will check the site often before opening my checkbook at the dealership!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've got a 2007 and have been playing with the steering settings, from my manual, it does not seem like this has anything to do with the suspension.
1) I have moved mine from medium effort to high and it was really stiff at first but I got used to it. I do prefer the medium as the response in low speed driving is better.
2) On the suspension change, it is seems subtle when you are driving on smooth roads but you can tell the difference when driving on bumpy roads. I keep mine in Sport for normal driving and Comfort on the highway and places where I know the roads is pretty smooth and not to many sharp curves. Advanced has a more sporty feel overall but does not do too well with bumps but that may also be a thing with the tires I have on the car.
3) Must have missed that transmission issue. Personally, I would like to figure out if there is a way to reset the transmission to clear out what the last owner had.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Note that when you set the 4C to Advanced it will reduce the power steering assist so the steering will require more driver input to steer.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I also have 4C and assuming my suspension is as it should be (60k mi, I assume it's fine) I still can't tell the difference apart from driving at higher speeds. Highway driving at 150+ km/h (about 94+ mph) it makes a lot of difference to put it into sport instead of comfort. Feels a lot firmer and more controlled. At lower speeds I haven't really noticed a lot, it's more that it less controlled if you don't have it in sport at those speeds.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
After putting about 3,000 miles on my S80 since November I agree with the magazines. When the car came out the magazines said it didn't know if it was a luxury sedan or a sport sedan. neither is spectacular. I know it is more engaging than a Camry, but ... I was hoping it would be a bit sportier.

I take it to work a few days a week, but on the weekend like today if it is just me or me and my daughter, I grab the econobox keys.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Personally, I think the first generation got the suspension to make it like a S60R but as it is a larger car, they didn't make it into a true sport sedan. From all the reading I have been doing here, the ride can be made better by changing out the sway bars, some different lowering springs would be nice but I haven't seen any info on anything made or the 4C suspension. I would welcome that as I feel the car needs a little change to make it ride better overall. I plan on doing the sway bar and end link upgrade later in the year, I like the look of the BOR wheels but am unsure if that would make the ride worse with more wheel and less rubber. I think it would look nice with the standard setup and I figure the sway bars would tighten up the roll a bit to make ride a lot better. Looking to hear from those who have got up to 19s and done the sway bar upgrade to chime in.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm pleased with the addition of the IPD rear sway bar. If you have the fabricated rear suspension swing arms, they will have to be changed to the cast aluminum arms. If IPD offered a slightly larger diameter rear bar, I would have selected that option as there remains body roll.

To replicate (approximate) the change of larger wheels and less tire side wall, just inflate the tires to the maximum recommended on the tire. Easy change and easy to restore.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I can say this, with the tires set at 38 psi, the ride feels a bit jittery and hitting any bumps and road imperfections make a huge impact to the vehicle. Going down to 35 makes it ride a bit smoother but I think this more an issue with the tires being too stiff. The ride in Advanced is firmer than I would expect on smooth road but the overall ride is not as sporty as I would like it which is why I want to do the sway bars and get some lowering springs that matches up with the 4C suspension. When checking Tasca for the 2010 S80 (looking for the springs used on the Dynamic package), I see multiple spring listings but they don't see what each is for.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I can say this, with the tires set at 38 psi, the ride feels a bit jittery and hitting any bumps and road imperfections make a huge impact to the vehicle. Going down to 35 makes it ride a bit smoother but I think this more an issue with the tires being too stiff. The ride in Advanced is firmer than I would expect on smooth road but the overall ride is not as sporty as I would like it which is why I want to do the sway bars and get some lowering springs that matches up with the 4C suspension. When checking Tasca for the 2010 S80 (looking for the springs used on the Dynamic package), I see multiple spring listings but they don't see what each is for.
Get some 245/45/18 tires as well, the extra sidewall lets you use Advanced on a lot more roads than you otherwise would...

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm planning on changing the tires as well, for some quieter and more comfortable ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
"it seems that transmission issues could come up at some point based on all that I've read, at what mileage or age of the car might I start to get a bit more nervous about that?"

There is some controversy about flushing/changing the transmission fluid on these cars if you look around the forum (include the xc90 from the same time period if you want, they have the same transmission)."

I can only say in my case, the transmission in my 2007 (later valve body) was sort of clunky acting and was possibly developing a mild flare.

At 135K approx, I had a BG flush done at a Volvo dealer, and the shifting improved significantly, and has remained improved.

The big takeaway for me was that the old fluid was as black as night - complete and utter toast.

Congrats on your car - what a nice find with such low mileage!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
On an unrelated note, a lot of people seem to be calling the V8 smooth on here. I don't understand what exactly that means because, well, I don't think it is. At least not if you compare it to a 6-cyl like a T6. You can very very VERY barely feel those at idle and barely makes any fuzz under light loads either but makes an awesome sound at WOT. That's smooth. Edit: I guess smooth power delivery, took me long enough to figure out...

As for the transmission, what car wouldn't be prone to at some point develop issues as you rack up the miles? The TF80 seems pretty reliable if you do give it a flush every now and then (if the car's never had one then I think 65k is just about right for a first one, to give you an idea). Some of the earlier ones had issues with the valve body which could make the gearbox act up but starting with late model year 2007 that was fixed so you're all set since you have a 08.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
As for the transmission, what car wouldn't be prone to at some point develop issues as you rack up the miles? The TF80 seems pretty reliable if you do give it a flush every now and then (if the car's never had one then I think 65k is just about right for a first one, to give you an idea). Some of the earlier ones had issues with the valve body which could make the gearbox act up but starting with late model year 2007 that was fixed so you're all set since you have a 08.
There are lots of differing opinions but the official guidance from Volvo is:
1) Change fluid every 50K (or sooner) since new OR
2) Change fluid if the car displays a message telling you to do this on the dash OR
3) Never change fluid

Dealers will likely refuse to change the fluid on a car with 100K or more miles still on the original fill and not showing any problems. (There are exceptions of course).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts