SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,<p>I am about to replace the steering rods, tie rod ends and idler arm bushing on my '72 1800E as the front end has a little wander. All ball joints and bushings have been replaced and the steering box has been adjusted to eliminate play – however, the screw is now bottomed out. Does anyone have any experience on doing the alignment after this is done and can I expect this to correct the problem? Or am I missing something else?<p>What are the criteria for determining if the steering box needs to be rebuilt?<p>I am the original owner and the car has about 58K on it.<p>Thanks in advance.<br>

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Steering and Tie Rod End replacement (Edjec)

Welcome to Swedespeed, Ed.<p>If the steering box adjusting screw is at the limit then the box is ready for a rebuild. You can tell if the new steering components will fix the play by safely crawling under the raised car, removing the rod from the steering box arm then check the arm for movement. If the arm is OK then the new steering components (and wheel bearings) should work well with the proper alignment, balance and correct wheel/tire combination.<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Steering and Tie Rod End replacement (gdill2)

Thanks for the quick reply George.<p>One more question if I may... If the steering box does need to be rebuilt, is it normally sufficient to replace the bushings on the Pitman shaft or will the bearings and races on the steering shaft need to be replaced as well? The races are very expensive!<p>Thanks again,<p>Ed<br>

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Steering and Tie Rod End replacement (Edjec)

The standard rebuild kit has the replacement bushing and seals. the bearings and races should be ok unless the box has been dry for a long time, if at all.<p>Do your parts sources show this kit?<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Steering and Tie Rod End replacement (gdill2)

Yes, the bearings and races are available from Swedish Treasures at <A HREF="http://www.swedishtreasures.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.swedishtreasures.com</A>. Great people to deal with, BTW.<p>Shouldn't be a problem then - the box has never been dry or low.<p>Thanks for your reply again, George.<p>Ed McDermott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts