Classic Swedish trotting track Solvalla gets transformed into a racing circuit this weekend where Volvo Polestar Racing takes part in the penultimate STCC weekend of 2014.

Reigning champion Thed Björk claimed the championship lead in the last race at Knutstorp and has got a clear goal ahead of this weekend. ”There was no one able to stop me at Solvalla last year and for me there is nothing else but continuing in the same way this weekend. This circuit suits me perfectly,” said Björk.  

Team mate Fredrik Ekblom had an opposite weekend to Björk at Knutstorp two weeks ago when almost everything went wrong in the two races. The rescue was the points from qualifying where Ekblom once again proved that he is the fastest driver so far this year with pole position i half of the qualifying sessions and second as his worst position.  ”We have had a bit too much bad luck so far this year. But my focus remains on winning the championship. I need to score as good as possible to succeed with that and that is what I am driving after this weekend,” said Ekblom.

Prince Carl Philip Bernadotte had his best ever STCC race weekend at Knutstorp with sixth and seventh. A tough challenge awaits him this weekend as he has not raced at Solvalla before.  ”I have only driven one test session at Solvalla previously, so the challenge is great. But I am strengthened by the results from Knutstorp and my goal is to continue to score points,” said Prince Carl Philip.  Two race weekends and four race heats remain of the 2014 STCC. A total of 150 points are left to be fought for. Björk heads the championship with three points over BMW driver Fredrik Larsson while Ekblom is third, 28 points behind the leaders.

This weekend’s races at Solvalla is going to be extra demanding as the biggest so far field of the year awaits the drivers on the tightest track of the calendar.  ”Solvalla is an extremely important part of the final championship sprint and a tough one as the track is tight and we have got new drivers joining the championship. There is a lot at stake this weekend in the fight for the title,” said Björk.

STCC Semcon Race Solvalla
Circuit: Solvalla
Length: 1250 m
Lap record (STCC): 0:45.440, Richard Göransson (2013)

Schedule
Times in CET

Friday 5/9
11:15 – Test 1 (30 min)
12:00 – Test 2 (30 min)
15:05 – Q1 (15 min)
15:25 – Q2 (20 min)

Saturday 6/9
12:05 – Race 1 (25 min)
14:00 – Race 2 (25 min)

TV Coverage
Live at www.svtplay.se
Highlights in SVT2 18:00 Saturday 6/9

2014 STCC Calendar
10/05 Knutstorp
07/06 Göteborg
12/07 Falkenberg
23/08 Knutstorp
06/09 Solvalla
20/09 Mantorp Park

Championship standings - Top 10
(8/12 races)
1 Thed Björk Volvo S60 171 poäng
2 Fredrik Larsson BMW SR 168 (-3)
3 Fredrik Ekblom Volvo S60 143 (-28)
4 Mattias Andersson Dacia SE 110 (-61)
5 Richard Göransson Saab 9-3 102 (-69)
6 Philip Forsman BMW SR 100 (-71)
7 Mattias Lindberg Kia Optima 98 (-73)
8 Linus Ohlsson Kia Optima 89 (-82)
9 Erik Jonsson BMW SR 79 (-92)
10 Andreas Wernersson Kia Optima 52 (-119)

13 Carl Philip Bernadotte Volvo S60 18 (-153)