SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me an accurate explanation of the differences between STC and DSTC? I understand that STC cuts out after 75 mph, but other than that, what is the difference between what they provide in terms of performance? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RustyR:<BR><B>Can someone give me an accurate explanation of the differences between STC and DSTC? I understand that STC cuts out after 75 mph, but other than that, what is the difference between what they provide in terms of performance? Thanks.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>There is a very good story of what DSTC does, on this website. Go to the Home page and you will see it.<P><BR>Yannis<P><P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
It can be found here....<BR> <A HREF="http://www.swedespeed.com/features/tech/dstc/index.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.swedespeed.com/features/tech/dstc/index.shtml</A> <P>STC on the other hand, uses brakes only in cases of slippage of the drive wheels. If they spin, it will apply brakes. Only drive wheels are affected.<P>DSTC senses lateral spinning or sliding and is applied accordingly (more in the article).

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:<BR><B>STC on the other hand, uses brakes only in cases of slippage of the drive wheels. If they spin, it will apply brakes. Only drive wheels are affected.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not true, this is TRACS, STC is a full functioning traction control which uses the brakes up to 40 km/h and after that the ignition is used also to cut down on power.<BR>Works fairly well.<BR>Sometimes I can hear the limited ignition create a nice rumble through the exhaust :)<P><p>[This message has been edited by Johann (edited 02-13-2002).]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't you think the STC is dangerous in some situations? I don't know for the DSTC but when my front wheels leave the road for taking hills too fast (making the front wheels spin), the system slows down the front wheels to an almost complete stop. This causes the front of the car to go slower than the rear...and you can imagine the results. I haven't pushed the car to the point of loosing it but I am pretty sure that at higher speeds with a slippery surface, bad things could happen which would never have without the STC.<P>Any opinions or stories?<P>Thanks,<P>JF

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
George,<P>No, I don't have a deactivation button on the dash for STC. It's always on apparently. All I have is a button on the console as a "W" for winter mode, which starts the car in third gear on slippery roads.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RustyR:<BR><B>George,<P>No, I don't have a deactivation button on the dash for STC. It's always on apparently. All I have is a button on the console as a "W" for winter mode, which starts the car in third gear on slippery roads.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The STC button is not on the dash but on the console, below the HVAC controls. If you do not have that button then you do not have traction control.<P>Yannis<P><P>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yannis,<P>I have a 2002 S60 AWD. I believe they all have STC. My window sticker for the car shows it has STC. But my console has no button for it. It only has a W button below the gear shift for the winter mode. There is nothing on the console for STC.<P>Strange?<P>

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RustyR:<BR><B>Yannis,<P>I have a 2002 S60 AWD. There is nothing on the console for STC.<P><BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Rusty,<P>I am sorry, I did not realize you own an AWD. Yes, that is a standard feature and is integrated into the ECU. Therefore, AWDs (and XCs) do not have an STC button but STC is a standard feature.<P>Yannis<P><P>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts