SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found an XC90 that I may be interested in. It's a 3.2 with 80K miles. Seller says it's in very good condition, except for occasional gear shifting lag when pressing hard on the accelerator, and the fact that it stalled once recently in stop and go traffic after being on the highway, though it restarted immediately.

Thoughts on these issues? Should I run the other way fast, or?

EDIT: Forgot to mention the year. It's a 2007.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Depends on price, service history, and what the seller means by "occasional gear shifting lag when pressing hard on the accelerator."

1. Assuming this is a 2007 or 2008 model year 7 seat AWD with a relatively standard options config, I'd have a hard time paying any more than $17k from a private seller with no warranty, the given description, and 80k miles.

2. I'd need to see the service history, and if still interested, get a PPI by an Indy with XC90 experience. The stall could have been caused by many things, but might be an indicator of a lack of regular maintenance. No service history and the price maxes at $15k.

3. Computerized auto-transmissions can often be slow to downshift when you floor it, and Volvo was not particularly aggressive with the transmission mapping in this model. Drive it and see whether or not it feels like normal lag, or if it's really abnormal. If it feels normal but is still a wee bit slow, could be down to just needing a fluid change badly (see #2 above). Should have had at least one change by now, and well towards needing the second. Were this a V8, I'd be more circumspect about the shift lag, but the 3.2s seemed to have fared pretty well... thus far at least. Pricing in a 25% probability of a $7500 replacement would more than compensate me for the risk.

I'd likely have a $15k bid w/ records and a $13k bid w/o records. What you don't want is to buy it for $17k and then have to put $3-4k in it to replace a valve body, motor mounts, any suspension components, and a Stage 0 tune. A totally clean bill of health from a trusted Indy would increase the bid by $1-1.5k, and I would also be very frank with the seller about that math.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Have a volvo-aware mechanic look at it before making an offer.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts