SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has Volvo really stopped production of the 3.0L turbo I-6?

With the introduction of the Drive-E engines last year, Volvo announced that the 3.0L turbo Inline-6 would be dropped in the near future. The Drive-E engines and transmission hadn’t been mated to the all-wheel-drive system yet. They also indicated that the venerable 2.5L 5-cylinder would be retired eventually as well.

The T6 AWD versions of the S80 and XC70 were dropped for 2016. But the 2016 XC60 T6 AWD & T6 R-Design AWD, S60 T6 R-Design AWD and V60 T6 R-Design were all introduced with the 3.0L Turbo.

In the past week or so, I’ve read about several people who were waiting for their factory-ordered XC60 T6 AWD to arrive only to be contacted by Volvo and told that the orders are being cancelled! Apparently, they have either stopped producing the 3.0L already or they are in the process of winding down production.

Can anyone confirm this? A few days ago, I was looking for some silly minor spec/feature on the XC60 for a member of another forum that I regularly visit. I’ve learned that the Overseas Delivery Price Lists for each model often have great info that you can’t find anywhere else. When I downloaded the one for the 2016 XC60, I noticed that the T6 AWD and T6 R-Design AWD are shown as “This model currently N/A”. I took that as further proof to support what I’ve heard/read about the XC60 models with the 3.0L engine being discontinued and/or any pending orders cancelled.

Can anyone confirm that the 3.0L Turbo I-6 is no longer being produced? What about the S60 and V60 T6 R-Design AWD models? Do they have the replacement engine/transmission ready to go with the AWD system now? I assume that R-Design models of the S60 ,V60 and XC60 will get a massaged version of the 2.0L ‘Twin-charged’ 4-cylinder used in T6 Drive-E FWD models of those models now.

I’m just wondering what’s going on and what to expect?

Along the same line- Volvo has not mentioned the 2016 S60 T5 Drive-E R-Design Special Edition (try to fit that one a single line on of a car title)!?!? It does NOT appear anywhere on the Volvo website including the BUILD & PRICE utility for the S60. But all the car research and pricing sites (TrueCar, Edmunds, KBB, etc.) all have it and the pricing available. My local Volvo dealer has about 25 2016 S60s in stock and I counted six of the aforementioned ‘Special Edition’ variety. I was there last Saturday having the 10k Service done on my 2015.5 S60. The dealership General Manager (GM) was a friend of a friend and now he and I are buddies. So we walked around the lot and talked about some of the cars including the S60 T5 Drive-E R-Design Special Edition (just be thankful they didn’t feel the need to put badges with all of those names on the trunklid)! He said that all the dealers he knew were very excited about the model because it’s so reasonably priced for such a sharp looking car. He also showed me the S60 Inscription and said that he had even higher hopes for it. He told me that the complaint he hears most often (and it’s usually a deal-breaker) is the regular S60’s lack of rear leg room.

Does anyone have any reliable info on the 6-cylinder turbo or the T5 Drive-E R-Design Special Edition? Please share with the class!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm sorry, but seriously do a bit of reading across any number of subforums. Yes the 6-cylinder T6 is no more. I understand there was a short window of opportunity to factory order the T6 in some 2016 models but even that has now closed with production of the engine itself (by Ford) either already finished or ending in November. And now with the overnight (for us in Oz) announcement about the 4-cylinder Drive-E T6 AWD being available in the 60 series models from early next year, the 6-cylinder T6 is well and truly dead. Given that the S80, V70 and XC70 are about to be replaced I can understand why the AWD Drive-E T6 isn't being extended to these models as well.

Can't give you an answer on your US-spec Drive-E T5 Special edition.

Tony

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
The 3.0L 6cyl production has ended. The remaining 6cyl R-Design models should be arriving in the U.S. in November.

Volvo announced today that they are mating AWD to the T6 -Drive-E in the 60-series vehicles. I have seen the FWD SE T5 R-Design S60s at my dealer. Beyond it having the R-Design trim package, there's not much else to say about it.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Has Volvo really stopped production of the 3.0L turbo I-6?

With the introduction of the Drive-E engines last year, Volvo announced that the 3.0L turbo Inline-6 would be dropped in the near future. The Drive-E engines and transmission hadn’t been mated to the all-wheel-drive system yet. They also indicated that the venerable 2.5L 5-cylinder would be retired eventually as well.

The T6 AWD versions of the S80 and XC70 were dropped for 2016. But the 2016 XC60 T6 AWD & T6 R-Design AWD, S60 T6 R-Design AWD and V60 T6 R-Design were all introduced with the 3.0L Turbo.

In the past week or so, I’ve read about several people who were waiting for their factory-ordered XC60 T6 AWD to arrive only to be contacted by Volvo and told that the orders are being cancelled! Apparently, they have either stopped producing the 3.0L already or they are in the process of winding down production.

Can anyone confirm this? A few days ago, I was looking for some silly minor spec/feature on the XC60 for a member of another forum that I regularly visit. I’ve learned that the Overseas Delivery Price Lists for each model often have great info that you can’t find anywhere else. When I downloaded the one for the 2016 XC60, I noticed that the T6 AWD and T6 R-Design AWD are shown as “This model currently N/A”. I took that as further proof to support what I’ve heard/read about the XC60 models with the 3.0L engine being discontinued and/or any pending orders cancelled.

Can anyone confirm that the 3.0L Turbo I-6 is no longer being produced? What about the S60 and V60 T6 R-Design AWD models? Do they have the replacement engine/transmission ready to go with the AWD system now? I assume that R-Design models of the S60 ,V60 and XC60 will get a massaged version of the 2.0L ‘Twin-charged’ 4-cylinder used in T6 Drive-E FWD models of those models now.

I’m just wondering what’s going on and what to expect?

Along the same line- Volvo has not mentioned the 2016 S60 T5 Drive-E R-Design Special Edition (try to fit that one a single line on of a car title)!?!? It does NOT appear anywhere on the Volvo website including the BUILD & PRICE utility for the S60. But all the car research and pricing sites (TrueCar, Edmunds, KBB, etc.) all have it and the pricing available. My local Volvo dealer has about 25 2016 S60s in stock and I counted six of the aforementioned ‘Special Edition’ variety. I was there last Saturday having the 10k Service done on my 2015.5 S60. The dealership General Manager (GM) was a friend of a friend and now he and I are buddies. So we walked around the lot and talked about some of the cars including the S60 T5 Drive-E R-Design Special Edition (just be thankful they didn’t feel the need to put badges with all of those names on the trunklid)! He said that all the dealers he knew were very excited about the model because it’s so reasonably priced for such a sharp looking car. He also showed me the S60 Inscription and said that he had even higher hopes for it. He told me that the complaint he hears most often (and it’s usually a deal-breaker) is the regular S60’s lack of rear leg room.

Does anyone have any reliable info on the 6-cylinder turbo or the T5 Drive-E R-Design Special Edition? Please share with the class!
Did the special edition S60 you saw have more rear legroom?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the special edition S60 you saw have more rear legroom?
No, it's based on the regular S60 T5 and has the same amount of rear legroom. The Inscription model is the one that has more legroom. The S60 Inscription is is about 3.2" longer overall than other S60 models and every bit of that added length goes directly the to rear seat legroom.

I drive a 2015.5 S60 T6 and my 9yr old niece and 5yr old nephew are the only ones who ever ride in the back seat. They're the only ones that fit. I think the S60 would sell a lot better than it does if it would fit four adults comfortably. I'm single and rarely have more than one passenger at any time, so I don't need a spacious back seat. But most families need/want more space than the S60 provides.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry, but seriously do a bit of reading across any number of subforums. Yes the 6-cylinder T6 is no more.
I have read many differnt postings on various websites about the 6-cylinder T6 engine's demise. But the information from one posting to usually incosistent and I wanted to know from someone with more information than I had at the time what the plan was, if production had ended and how long it is expected to be before a 300+ hp replacement for AWD models would be available!

I understand there was a short window of opportunity to factory order the T6 in some 2016 models but even that has now closed with production of the engine itself (by Ford) either already finished or ending in November.
I actually learned something new from your posting! I knew that the Volvo SI6 engines (3.2 and 3.0T) were built in Wales, but I didn't realize that Ford was the one building them there. It seemed odd to me that Volvo would have an engine plant in Wales when the cars they go in are built in Belgium and Sweden....but now it makes more sense. I also recalled reading something earlier this year about production of the Volvo engines being moved from Wales to Sweden and China in/by Feb 2015. I wonder if it was still Ford who built them in Sweden and China this year? To be honest, I seriously considered a 2013 S80 T6 Platinum AWD before I got my 2015.5 S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum. I also debated between my T6 Drive-E and the T6 R-Design. Had I known that Ford built engines, even though they were designed by Volvo, it would have saved me some time debating which model/engine to buy! I'm not a fan of Ford, quite the opposite....but my mom and sister have both owned Ford Explorers that were hellish nightmares and cost many thousands of dollars before they got rid of them.

Ironically, or perhaps I sholud say Interestingly, the vehicle I had before I got my 2015.5 Volvo had a Ford-designed engine under the hood. It was 2012 Mazda CX-9 and it used the 3.7L DOHC V6 (derived from the 3.5L DOHC V6). Ford didn't built introducoe the engine in their products until 2009, but the 2008 CX-9 used the 3.7L before any Ford product did. Mazda insisted on building the engine themselves at the engine facility they operate adjacent to the Hiroshima plant where the CX-9 is buillt).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen the FWD SE T5 R-Design S60s at my dealer. Beyond it having the R-Design trim package, there's not much else to say about it.
I was just wondering why Volvo's website doesn't mention them in any way? I would at least think they'd be included among all the other choices on the Build & Price utility on Volvo's site.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
No, it's based on the regular S60 T5 and has the same amount of rear legroom. The Inscription model is the one that has more legroom. The S60 Inscription is is about 3.2" longer overall than other S60 models and every bit of that added length goes directly the to rear seat legroom.

I drive a 2015.5 S60 T6 and my 9yr old niece and 5yr old nephew are the only ones who ever ride in the back seat. They're the only ones that fit. I think the S60 would sell a lot better than it does if it would fit four adults comfortably. I'm single and rarely have more than one passenger at any time, so I don't need a spacious back seat. But most families need/want more space than the S60 provides.
So the S60 Inscription is the Chinese-made S60L.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The Ford engine complex in Bridgend in Wales is one of the world's biggest engine plants. It still makes engines for all the former PAG companies, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Volvo. The Aston Martin V12 is made in the German Ford Cologne plant and the Range Rover diesel V8 in the Mexican Ford Chihuahua plant.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I was just wondering why Volvo's website doesn't mention them in any way? I would at least think they'd be included among all the other choices on the Build & Price utility on Volvo's site.
That is just a regional offer, not national.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts