SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every single time I get out of my S60, I recieve a huge shock that's really painful and often causes my hand to twitch. I have cloth seats, which may or may not not be contributing to the problem. I'm wondering, would it be possible to ground myself to the car while driving it by using a wrist strap or perhaps something less obtrusive? I'm really fed up with this, and I have to find a way to stop getting shocked!

Thanks, T.E.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, it's not unique to the Volvo. My wife has a Jeep Grand Cherokee with cloth seats and you get a major zap when you get out.
With the Jeep, it sits up high, so when you get out, you slide your butt across the seat and then touch the metal door handle and that creates the charge. Maybe you could try not letting go of the door handle and staying in contact with the car by hand as you get out? Just guessing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You definitely do not get the shock because of your Volvo. In reality, it's mainly your shoes that cause this electrical effect.

I have some camel boots as my everyday shoes and I like them but they are terrible concerning electrical conductivity.

We have a V70 and a Golf and it happens to me with either of the cars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did I ever say it was the Volvo's fault?
I know the Volvo isn't the problem, but because the car is an S60, I figured I'd ask the question in the S60 forum. So, does anyone know how to make the electroshock treatment stop?

T.E.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I had great results by keeping a can of anti-static spray in my truck (with cloth seats.) Every few days, I'd just mist the seat and there was no problem. If I forgot for a while....ZAP. For me the feet/shoes have NOTHING to do with it. Totally the seats.

I'm still very shy about touching metal when I first hop out (especially on dry days). I hold my key so my finger touches the base, and I then touch the tip to the door before closing it with my hand.

- Darell

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to admit that I've given up on combatting this same problem with my Ford Explorer. (Our first Volvo, an S60, is not to arrive until late April.)

I've conditioned myself to offer up my elbow to the door frame while exiting. Seems to be a better alternative to getting zapped in the hand.

Max

1 - 6 of 6 Posts