SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve recently cracked the windshield on my 2009 XC90 V8 R-Design. Totally stupid mistake on me. Has anyone had recent success on getting an insurance company to pay for a factory Volvo OEM replacement? I’ve read on older posts that the windshield is part of Volvo’s safety features, has someone had recent success using this to get theirs replaced. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've recently cracked the windshield on my 2009 XC90 V8 R-Design. Totally stupid mistake on me. Has anyone had recent success on getting an insurance company to pay for a factory Volvo OEM replacement? I've read on older posts that the windshield is part of Volvo's safety features, has someone had recent success using this to get theirs replaced. Thanks for any help.
Worked for GEICO several year ago. They only cover OEM on current year or 1 model year newer. Also, by default you would get oem if no a/m was available.
All glass has to meet DOT standards. The difference between OEM and A/M glass is splitting hairs. The a/m glass will not have the VOLVO stamp nor the misc safety logos.

Side note-- I would not file an insurance claim for something so minor. This will show up on your clue report for the next few year. Is a few hundred dollars really worth the potential headaches this could cause? ( Read: increased rates)

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've recently cracked the windshield on my 2009 XC90 V8 R-Design. Totally stupid mistake on me. Has anyone had recent success on getting an insurance company to pay for a factory Volvo OEM replacement? I've read on older posts that the windshield is part of Volvo's safety features, has someone had recent success using this to get theirs replaced. Thanks for any help.
In CT Allstate covers all glass 100% as part of the policy.
$0.00 deductible.
For my 07' V70, Safelite replaced the glass with aftermarket. - rain sensor did not work.
Replaced windshield again with aftermarket and changed rain sensor. - did not work.
Replaced with OEM, (still no charge) and everything worked fine.
They have to try with aftermarket first. They have a contract with Allstate to replace free of charge and it has to work regardless of aftermarket or OEM.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Worked for GEICO several year ago. They only cover OEM on current year or 1 model year newer. Also, by default you would get oem if no a/m was available.
All glass has to meet DOT standards. The difference between OEM and A/M glass is splitting hairs. The a/m glass will not have the VOLVO stamp nor the misc safety logos.

Side note-- I would not file an insurance claim for something so minor. This will show up on your clue report for the next few year. Is a few hundred dollars really worth the potential headaches this could cause? ( Read: increased rates)
Agree with the starting a claim. They can just turn around and up my bill. Even though I haven't had a claim in over 10 years, with multiple cars. I'll end up paying more eventually. That's what makes me think to go pull a windshield from a junkyard. Which I've learned to do for my 1998 S70 T5. Now I fall into a risk finding someone to do quality/warranty install on a windshield I give them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In CT Allstate covers all glass 100% as part of the policy.
$0.00 deductible.
For my 07' V70, Safelite replaced the glass with aftermarket. - rain sensor did not work.
Replaced windshield again with aftermarket and changed rain sensor. - did not work.
Replaced with OEM, (still no charge) and everything worked fine.
They have to try with aftermarket first. They have a contract with Allstate to replace free of charge and it has to work regardless of aftermarket or OEM.
I did get a quote for $900 from Saflite using factory OEM windshield and sealant. Saw that saflite was widely mentioned here.
Chicago insurance companies would get a good chuckle "at no charge".Saflife did mention that the insurance company can pay a portion of that bill. My agent is near work, so tomorrow I'll pop in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t want to jinx myself, but it seems like State Farm is getting me a factory OEM windshield without any real hassle. Going to have it repaired at Volvo that uses an approved State Farm vendor call AllStar Glass. Feel more comfortable getting it done there then on the street. Waiting now for Volvo to order the glass before setting the appointment. At least Volvo will inspect the work once it’s complete. Had some wind noise before the break so I ordered new lower trim seals to replace the old dried up ones. I hope this solves the annoying wind noise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally have my XC90 back home!! I was able to get a factory Volvo stamped windshield with a $250 deductible from State Farm. So glad I didn’t have to fight for getting a factory glass. I also had the two lower trim replaced as well since I thought the dried out trim may have been the source of my wind noise. Unfortunately, it didn’t solve the wind noise. Back to the drawing board on that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad you didn't have any trouble getting new OE. Volvo does have a position statement stating to properly replace a windshield it has to be OE. I hear some insurance companies do disregard this statement. In a former life I was an adjuster, if a car had a rain sensor or an ADAS sensor went through the windshield I would use new OE. Tried a/m a few times and it never seemed to work out with sensors. Despite what insurance companies tell you, it is not the same thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts