SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a T8 on order and downloaded the Manual to my iPhone. Under the "Starting the Engine" there is Note box that says "The vehicle can not be started if the hybrid battery is discharged".

What if i can not get to a plug to charge it? It really won't start under gas engine mode either? It does say it will start in gas mode with an insufficiently charged battery, but then has the note above. Does this seem proper?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
The battery will not discharge (under normal conditions) no matter what. When it gets to a critically low level, the motor will charge the battery.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a T8 on order and downloaded the Manual to my iPhone. Under the "Starting the Engine" there is Note box that says "The vehicle can not be started if the hybrid battery is discharged".

What if i can not get to a plug to charge it? It really won't start under gas engine mode either? It does say it will start in gas mode with an insufficiently charged battery, but then has the note above. Does this seem proper?
Yes, both the T6 and T8 have two batteries, one to power the electronics and the other to start the gas engine. If either battery fails, you will be out of luck.

Lead batteries have a shorter life than lithium batteries, so monitor them closely and replace if they show signs of deterioration.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes, both the T6 and T8 have two batteries, one to power the electronics and the other to start the gas engine. If either battery fails, you will be out of luck.

Lead batteries have a shorter life than lithium batteries, so monitor them closely and replace if they show signs of deterioration.
I dont think the OP was referring to that specifically as the T6 does not have a hybrid power unit under the transmission tunnel.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The battery will not discharge (under normal conditions) no matter what. When it gets to a critically low level, the motor will charge the battery.
The handbook refers repeatedly to the possibility of the hybrid battery completely discharging, without any qualification about conditions, so obviously it can happen. The engine cannot recharge the hybrid battery if it cannot start. The handbook lists no remedy. Trailering to the nearest charging point perhaps?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts