SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a random, unpredictable starting problem with my S60 R. Basically, it always seems to happen when it is cold outside, and the engine is completely cold - meaning the R has been sitting outside for hours and the thermostat is all the way to the left. So, what happens is I will start the car and nothing will happen. What I mean is, the headlights come on, the dashboard turns on, radio, everything that is electrical comes on but the car did not start. I have no idea why this happens and no codes are shown on the dash and it happens so intermediately that I cannot figure out why it happens and cannot get the problem to happen when I take it to my mechanic. (It almost seems like the signal to the starter is just never sent and I do not know why) So anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that was the problem so I replaced the battery last winter and the problem still exists. Also, since everything turns on like the headlights, radio, ect I do not think it is a battery problem.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The battery is less than a year old because I thought that was the problem. However, after replacing the battery the problem still persists so I do not think it is a battery issue. Also, everything electrical turns on like the headlights, radio, dashboard, ect with no problems.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright I will try that

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Starter or solenoid. The brushes in starter are the ground path for the electromagnet winding that pulls in the armature for solenoid. That armature depresses a contact switch to power the motor portion of starter. Once the contact is made the ground for the pull-in part of solenoid is gone but the hold-in portion of solenoid is connected to ground continuously and is adequate to hold solenoid armature in and stater motor contact depressed.
The brush wear particles which is a metallic dust can make for poor brush contact with commutator and thus no ground for the solenoid pull-in.
The solenoid needs the very strong pull-in winding to force the pinion gear into flywheel and to close the motor to battery contacts.
Usually when this issue occurs you can get starter to engage with a helper turning key to start position while you tap on starter. The starter is not accessible to do this.
The solenoid can also be the cause with the motor brushes not having any problems or wear dust contamination.
Usually you replace the starter as fooling around with cleaning and then replacing the solenoid will be as much as just replacing the starter and getting the parts warranty that comes with a complete starter. In other words if you want to do it yourself then repair the starter, if it goes to a shop then replace it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts