SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a collision in our 2016 XC60 the other day. It was stop and go on the interstate and a guy swerved over in front of me then the person directly in front of him had to slam on their brakes so I ended up hitting the guy in the rear. The damage was all around the right front headlight and really isn't that much damage. The bumper is cracked, the headlight is cracked, and the hood is crinkled a bit. However the driver air bag deployed (nobody was in the passenger seat) and the Volvo equivalent of On Star came on and called the police to the scene. I couldn't start the car to get it off of the interstate. The Volvo emergency agent said that it wouldn't start after an accident. However after looking at the owner's manual it looks like if you remove the key, open the door, then get back in and try to start it, then it should start it. The only thing I remember seeing in the instrument cluster was the check engine light, but lots of stuff was going on and I may have missed other messages. The problem is that the car is now 1.5 hours away from home and I wonder if it will start. I don't want to go all the way over there and not be able to start it. Has anyone else had experience with this?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
We had a collision in our 2016 XC60 the other day. It was stop and go on the interstate and a guy swerved over in front of me then the person directly in front of him had to slam on their brakes so I ended up hitting the guy in the rear. The damage was all around the right front headlight and really isn't that much damage. The bumper is cracked, the headlight is cracked, and the hood is crinkled a bit. However the driver air bag deployed (nobody was in the passenger seat) and the Volvo equivalent of On Star came on and called the police to the scene. I couldn't start the car to get it off of the interstate. The Volvo emergency agent said that it wouldn't start after an accident. However after looking at the owner's manual it looks like if you remove the key, open the door, then get back in and try to start it, then it should start it. The only thing I remember seeing in the instrument cluster was the check engine light, but lots of stuff was going on and I may have missed other messages. The problem is that the car is now 1.5 hours away from home and I wonder if it will start. I don't want to go all the way over there and not be able to start it. Has anyone else had experience with this?
Could always ask the Bodyshop (preferably a Volvo Certified One) how to bypass that feature. Or call dealer.

Who was at fault? Were you blamed, even though you were cut off? These types of accidents are why I have a dash camera. If you capture someone zooming in front and braking, you can prove you couldn't avoid hitting him / her. Without a Camera, person claims you followed too closely and you're at fault.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could always ask the Bodyshop (preferably a Volvo Certified One) how to bypass that feature. Or call dealer.

Who was at fault? Were you blamed, even though you were cut off? These types of accidents are why I have a dash camera. If you capture someone zooming in front and braking, you can prove you couldn't avoid hitting him / her. Without a Camera, person claims you followed too closely and you're at fault.

I do not have a dash camera, but I think I may get one now. It was in NC and the cop gave me a ticket because I hit him in the rear. The cop doesn't determine the fault, but he did give me the ticket.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I do not have a dash camera, but I think I may get one now. It was in NC and the cop gave me a ticket because I hit him in the rear. The cop doesn't determine the fault, but he did give me the ticket.
Ticket usually assigns blame to the at fault party. You read the police report?

I have a Viofo A129 Duo (Front / Rear) Dash Camera and it's a great investment. Suggest you consider a similar setup. Can't change what's done but can protect yourself in the future.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ticket usually assigns blame to the at fault party. You read the police report?

I have a Viofo A129 Duo (Front / Rear) Dash Camera and it's a great investment. Suggest you consider a similar setup. Can't change what's done but can protect yourself in the future.
The cop specifically said that he does not determine fault but just writes up the facts of the accident and ultimately the insurance companies work it out. But he said that with a rear collision in NC the person making the impact from the rear gets a "following too closely" ticket of $280. So yeah, I have no doubt that my insurance company will be fixing both cars.

Thanks for the camera suggestion. I'm looking in to getting one right now!

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
The cop specifically said that he does not determine fault but just writes up the facts of the accident and ultimately the insurance companies work it out. But he said that with a rear collision in NC the person making the impact from the rear gets a "following too closely" ticket of $280. So yeah, I have no doubt that my insurance company will be fixing both cars.

Thanks for the camera suggestion. I'm looking in to getting one right now!
Camera would have been useful. I.E. You are driving, car cuts you off, you slam into rear of vehicle. Camera shows driver made improper lane change, you couldn't stop, fault is assigned to other drive. Without a camera.... Your word vs. Other Drivers. People who rear ends another vehicle pretty much guilty.

Wiring your vehicle shouldn't be too hard. There are several threads about installing a Dash Camera and hardwiring it.

I don't have any connection to Viofo but it's a very solid and reliable camera. Also has parking mode (if hardwired) where it will record while you are parked in a parking lot or vehicle is turned off. Nice feature. Requires 3 wire hardwiring kit.

FYI: Had someone back into my car (nothing major) but camera caught it all. Open and shut claim. Gave his insurance the video, and there was zero argument about who was at fault.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Isn’t the car normally a write-off after collision with airbag deployment?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some people say that is true. But it with it being a late model car and only 1 air bag deploying that isn't always true. I talked to a friend that is an adjuster for Progressive (not my insurance) and he said it just depends on a lot of things and a single air bag deploying isn't always a guaranteed total.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
It really depends, but that's not always true. If it's a brand new car, then it might not hit the 65-70% threshold to total. Older cars will clearly be a goner once airbag goes off, since it'll be more to fix than car is worth.

It all depends upon adjuster and whether OP wants to fight to keep car or walk away. Since you can also boost value by arguing things like New Brakes, Brand New Tires, Expensive Rims, modifications, etc.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
No.

I worked on a new XC60 that had come from the body shop after a crash. The bill from the body shop was $20,000. The repairs I did (airbag wire harness replacement) added another $5000 to the tab.

To the OP, just have the car towed. There may be other reasons the car isn't starting after your accident.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts