SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'd like to start a thread on the list of upgrades to do to the S60Rs. I've had my 05 for almost a year now and I'm always going back and forth on where to start my performance upgrades. So I'm hoping to get a list or point me in the direction of a thread already started. I'm stuck between starting with upgrading air and exhaust first, or getting my computer flashed and tuned etc etc. Opinions? Order of upgrades to do?? Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Registered
all depends how far you want to go modification wise. Id recomend a catless 3" downpipe and a stage 1 hilton tune. afterwards, in this order:

Snabb FMIC kit

Snabb Intake

iPd / EST / Custom catback exhaust

Audi RS4 MAF / larger intake setup

Stage 2.5 Hilton Tune

Registered

Registered
First things First. Get the car back to Stage 0! Get it back to as close to new as possible... these are very complicated pieces of machinery - and doing "mods" can put a lot of stress on pieces that are at least 8 years old and however many miles are on the R... So get it to "new" first, THEN start modding...

Understand, if you are going away from an original piece, like putting poly bushings on the suspension, I am NOT saying to put new OEM bushings on first and then polys - but what I am saying is make sure the rest of the suspension components are "as new" - otherwise you are setting yourself up for fail after fail after fail...

Even more so on engine sensors and components...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a little extensive for my wallet, I understand your logic it is sound. But me personally I'll tackle those as they emerge. I've already given my vehicle the full once over and know what I need "pre-performance upgrades"

Registered
Just be aware of all the unintended consequences... over and over again, people do all these other things and have the car STILL run like crap - because of an iffy sensor somewhere else...

Just trying to save you some frustration level down the road (and with the complexity of these cars, which I cannot emphasize enough - they ARE complex) all kinds of errors can creep in that will bite you in the ass - just want you to have that firmly in your mind at the outset.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I totally understand your logic paisley, I've already done a bunch of general maintenence on my R. Clutch was by far the "funnest" lol. I've still got to replace the front right cv axle as it has a slight bend and causes shaking. Brakes, rotors, plugs, oil, etc etc most of the simple things. My bushing all look pretty solid still and motor mounts.

Registered
I totally understand your logic paisley, I've already done a bunch of general maintenence on my R. Clutch was by far the "funnest" lol. I've still got to replace the front right cv axle as it has a slight bend and causes shaking. Brakes, rotors, plugs, oil, etc etc most of the simple things. My bushing all look pretty solid still and motor mounts.

Did you do the clutch yourself? If so how was it? Only time I've pulled out a transmission was from a 67 Volvo Amazon, and that was the size of a breadbox.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I did the clutch myself it was a pain in the butt, I wish I would of documented it to start a thread for others wanted to change their clutch. The transmission itself probably weighed about 80 lbs

Registered
Yes I did the clutch myself it was a pain in the butt, I wish I would of documented it to start a thread for others wanted to change their clutch. The transmission itself probably weighed about 80 lbs

Would love even a walk through from what you remember. 80lbs is actually not as bad as I thought.

Registered
Transverse engine means either tilt down or drop the engine/trans as a unit... as I recall, Volvo recommends doing it out of the car. I think if you read through on here, there is a walk through somewhere.

Regarding half shafts. 300/300 seems to make them an occasional wear item. I've got vibration in mine again. About 80k after the first time... so I feel your shaky pain. At least it is a fairly simple job to do.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used an engine brace that sits on the upper free rails and holds the engine in place, then take apart both sides of the suspension and drop the engine cradle then with everything out of the way I slowly lowered the engine and trans with the engine brace till there was enough room to slip the transmission out the side once it was past the upper frame rail and unfolded the transmission and removed it

Registered
I used an engine brace that sits on the upper free rails and holds the engine in place, then take apart both sides of the suspension and drop the engine cradle then with everything out of the way I slowly lowered the engine and trans with the engine brace till there was enough room to slip the transmission out the side once it was past the upper frame rail and unfolded the transmission and removed it

Gotcha, thank you so much man. Sucks because those LCA bolts were a PITA on one side. What do mean by unfolding th transmission?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also remove the air box and intake tube to get better access, and I had to unbolt the fuse box and hold it out of the way cuz it kept catching on stuff while lowering the motor. You'll probably brake your crankshaft position sensor bracket as it is very brittle, mines kind of just sitting on their right now haha

Registered
LCA, PITA?

Yeah I think they were a/c or brake hardlines that cross right in front of one of the bolts on the passenger's side front bushing. Had to do some serious bumping to get a socket onto that bolt. Anyone else have this issue?
Unbolted sorry ha autocorrect

Haha I kinda thought so, no worries

1 - 20 of 34 Posts