SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to replace the starter on GF's 2006 S40T5 with 105k miles. For the past 5k miles it has made this noise for about 2 seconds right after it starts. It almost sounds like when you turn the key on an already running engine. It happens about 95% of the time now...warm or cold, so I am just going to replace it.

I've never heard this noise in a failing starter, but I've seen a few other posts on it with what sounds like a similar noise. Any idea what part is failing?

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Hopefully aldebaran will chime in as he just did a write up and tear apart of his failed starter.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Matt, I haven't been able to pin the noise down to a bad starter yet. I just recently replaced it too and I'm still not convinced I've completely solved this issue.
Since it happens so often, perhaps you could pop the hood before starting the car and try to locate the source. It seems to come from the left side of the engine bay and sounds like a party rattle. It could be a tensioner or pulley, even the CVVT solenoid. The starter is more centrally located.

·
Super Moderator
14,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had my GF start the car several times while I listened, and I finally put my hand on the starter while she did it, and I am almost positive that is the source of the noise I was hearing, as I felt extra vibration immediately after starting for a few seconds.

Replacements from Tasca / FCP are not cheap.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
I had my GF start the car several times while I listened, and I finally put my hand on the starter while she did it, and I am almost positive that is the source of the noise I was hearing, as I felt extra vibration immediately after starting for a few seconds.

Replacements from Tasca / FCP are not cheap.
OK, that's good. I bought my replacement starter from amazon.com for $140, that's a bargain.
Do you need a link to it?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Have you happened to see how the teeth on the flywheel are? I know sometimes when the starters wear they will wear out the teeth on the flywheel as well almost making a metal on metal grind on initial start up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts