SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI...on my 06R starter solenoid failed twice...I noticed it was not stamped Bosch so I replaced it with a "used" larger 850 Bosch solenoid about a year ago...No problem since.

see the difference for your self.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is it possible to replace the solenoid without unbolting starter motor from the engine. Do you know any places that sell just the solenoids?

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible to replace the solenoid without unbolting starter motor from the engine. Do you know any places that sell just the solenoids?
yes, but most likely you will strip the 3 star bolts that hold the solenoid in place and you will have to drill off the heads and to do that it is nice to have it on a bench or a wise...and 850's are phillips so same thing there as well...i did it without removal at the Junk Yard.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Interesting that the part number I found for the 850 solenoid is 9442291, which is the same for the s60. Oh and a new one if you don't trust junk yard parts aren't cheap Tasca wants $164.20 for one.

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting that the part number I found for the 850 solenoid is 9442291, which is the same for the s60. Oh and a new one if you don't trust junk yard parts aren't cheap Tasca wants $164.20 for one.
dang 164.20$...yeah it is interesting that it is a same part # cause the old one is stamped Bosch and is larger...probably new ones are outsourced and that's why there is no stamp Bosch on them.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
interesting. Starter solenoids have been zero problem units on Volvos for decades.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I look through my starter collection for white motors. I found the early PM Bosch and a late PM Bosch. Late has the cad plated solenoid and I also noticed it is maybe 8-10 mm shorter motor case. It also is lighter. I remember a statement in new car training where the starter was mentioned as being lighter but I haven't found what year that was listed in.

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I noticed older 850 t5 starter cranks faster...found a mint bosch re-manufactured in local JY on a 95 850 and slapped it on my s60

listen to the speed of cranking... youtube video is of a original s60 starter ...if you ask why did i do this??? cause I can...:D

link to starting of my s60 with my new old 850 starter.

pic for comparison 850 vs s60

1 - 13 of 13 Posts