SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally collected all of the necessary parts and got a couple of days off to do my custom exhaust on my 99 XC. I am making a 3" pipe from downpipe to tip, Borla muffler, and magnaflow hi flow cat.

So far I jacked it up and attempted to remove all of the old pipes, starting with the downpipe. Well it stopped there :( I cannot figure out how to get the downpipe out with it on the jacks, so tomorrow I am going to put it on the lift and see if that gives me the angle I need. If not I'll have to cut the old one in half to remove it I guess.

Do any of you guys know how to remove the down-pipe in one piece? Will the lift work?

I'll take some pics tomorrow and show what I have done.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the Volvo won round 2.

I put it up on the lift today and again I failed to get the downpipe off. Basically it it stuck. Between the driveshaft and the turbo.

So 2 weeks from today after I get my 15t turbo, it going to changer the turbo out and hopefully I can get the downpipe out in the process.

So I did everything I could today and took out everything from cat back. And I'm going to mock up the new piping to the old.

·
Administrator
55,913 Posts
For my XC, on a set of ramps, I dropped both rear hangers, then slid the DP off the three studs on the turbo. As it came down, I moved the entire unit toward the rear of the car and wiggled it around and down. To my surprise, I had sufficient room to get around the angle gear and prop shaft.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
^ Chris, isn't your XC an '00? The DP is different. 98-99 are the "S" bend style, '00 drops down the right side. I'd just cut the bugger off just before the cat, then you can wiggle the upper section out & lob it as far as you can. Make the new DP drop down the right & then under and around the driveshaft to meet up with the rest.

Make sure you create a true "Y" over the axle, or the flow out the back won't be even

·
Administrator
55,913 Posts
Hussein - yes mine is a '00 and that explains it!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ Chris, isn't your XC an '00? The DP is different. 98-99 are the "S" bend style, '00 drops down the right side. I'd just cut the bugger off just before the cat, then you can wiggle the upper section out & lob it as far as you can. Make the new DP drop down the right & then under and around the driveshaft to meet up with the rest.

Make sure you create a true "Y" over the axle, or the flow out the back won't be even
Wow that looks way easier and probably more efficient with out that "s" bend. I will do that next week when I have the time.

Also I am doing a single muffler so I don't need the "y" bend. But that looks like it would be the way to go.

How low does that hang?
I am acutally going to be using mine offroad and in the snow and want that clearance.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I cut basically all of the pipe for the cat back and just need to get it up on the lift to check fitment before welding. I am still waiting on an 02 sensor fitting in the mail then I'll do the downpipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts