SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a way to permanently disable the start stop function. I am not interested in saving a gallon of gas at the expense of my starter and battery.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Has anyone found a way to permanently disable the start stop function. I am not interested in saving a gallon of gas at the expense of my starter and battery.
You can't by design. This has been the subject of numerous raging discussions on this forum.

There are several ways to disable it per driving session.

1) Disable it in the settings -- last until you next use the car.

2) Switch to manual shifting at stops -- disables the auto-stop while in manual.

3) Switch to Dynamic driving mode -- disables auto-stop while in that mode or until the next use of the car.

4) Set the Individual Driving Mode to disable start/stop and switch to it -- disables start/stop until the next use of the car if you stay in that mode.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
No need to worry as the starter is heavier duty than in non-DriveE Volvos plus the car has two batteries mainly because of the start/stop feature.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
No need to worry as the starter is heavier duty than in non-DriveE Volvos plus the car has two batteries mainly because of the start/stop feature.
Thanks for the info. I new the starter was a beefier unit, but I didn't know about the 2 batteries.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I love the paddling shifting on my R-Design. Very sporty and gives you lots of control. That's one way to stop it if you have R-Design.

Randomly though the engine fails to turn off when I'm at a stop. It usually happens when the car is cold. I think there are certain conditions that stop the start/stop function and engine temp may be one of them.

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Does anyone find something annoying/uncomfortable with start/stop function ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm actually getting used to start/stop, partly because its operation has changed, from when the car was new. At first, the engine wouldn't restart until I took my foot off the brake *and* lightly touched the gas pedal, which was very annoying. Now, after ~1700 miles, the engine restarts when my foot leaves the brake, which is consistent with other vehicles I've driven and what I expect(ed). Don't see any reason why breaking in would affect this, but it did for me.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It doesn't bother me. What is crazy though is the way it doesn't stop the engine when you are in park. What's the logic in that? I have actually had the engine stopped from braking, then put it into park to briefly get out of the car and as soon as it goes into park the engine comes back on and stays on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I put my XC90 into Dynamic/Individual mode every time I start. However in stop and go traffic / many red lights I switch to Comfort to turn on start/stop. I like it under these circumstances. I hate it when I'm just pulling out of a driveway.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I thought there is the button A that disables this function till the next start instantly ? (no need to switch to dynamic mode because of that ? )

·
Registered
192 Posts
I thought there is the button A that disables this function till the next start instantly ? (no need to switch to dynamic mode because of that ? )
A button? That's autohold brake which has nothing to do with start/stop. I really like Autohold which allows me to rest my foot at lights or intersections.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
yea, well i drove one today and it (start/stop), is like blunt force trauma. my point is that it is not well thought out or done.

i have a couple friends who are now retired from torslanda plant and say, it is Swedish, lagom, their words "not so good , not so bad"

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
yea, well i drove one today and it (start/stop), is like blunt force trauma. my point is that it is not well thought out or done.

i have a couple friends who are now retired from torslanda plant and say, it is Swedish, lagom, their words "not so good , not so bad"
This does not reflect my experience. The XC90 is much refined from any previous Volvo iterations. I use auto brake and as soon as my foot touches the gas, the engine fires and we smoothly sail away.
Perhaps there's a little bit of a learning curve of how to push the accelerator, but I wouldn't say there's anything blunt about the system.

I wasn't excited about it but I now find it a key feature. The silence at traffic lights or stop signs is very nice.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm actually getting used to start/stop, partly because its operation has changed, from when the car was new. At first, the engine wouldn't restart until I took my foot off the brake *and* lightly touched the gas pedal, which was very annoying. Now, after ~1700 miles, the engine restarts when my foot leaves the brake, which is consistent with other vehicles I've driven and what I expect(ed). Don't see any reason why breaking in would affect this, but it did for me.
Do you have auto brake on? If so, you must press the accelerator to trigger the brake release and start the engine.
If you had used it before, but now do not, that would be why the behavior has changed.

·
Registered
559 Posts
It doesn't bother me. What is crazy though is the way it doesn't stop the engine when you are in park. What's the logic in that? I have actually had the engine stopped from braking, then put it into park to briefly get out of the car and as soon as it goes into park the engine comes back on and stays on.
I'm speculating here, but it seems that running Sensus and all of the various electronic gizmos, doodads and doohickeys on this vehicle sucks up a lot more power than a typical automobile (something like how the bigger screens on new smartphones consume battery power so much more quickly than 'dumb' phones from the days of yore). This may be the reason that battery-related issues seem to be a common cause for complaint amongst forum members.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that if this is known by the Swedish engineers, it may be why they don't want the car sitting in accessory mode (electrical systems on, but engine off) for extended periods of time like when you put the car in park. It may just drain down the battery too quickly if the engine and alternator aren't running.

Also, it's a neat little workaround because presumably the EPA testing cycle doesn't ever have the car shifted into park for an extended period of time, whereas it does account for time stopped in the city (with transmission in drive, and foot on the brake) as part of it's city MPG rating.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'm speculating here, but it seems that running Sensus and all of the various electronic gizmos, doodads and doohickeys on this vehicle sucks up a lot more power than a typical automobile (something like how the bigger screens on new smartphones consume battery power so much more quickly than 'dumb' phones from the days of yore). This may be the reason that battery-related issues seem to be a common cause for complaint amongst forum members.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that if this is known by the Swedish engineers, it may be why they don't want the car sitting in accessory mode (electrical systems on, but engine off) for extended periods of time like when you put the car in park. It may just drain down the battery too quickly if the engine and alternator aren't running.

Also, it's a neat little workaround because presumably the EPA testing cycle doesn't ever have the car shifted into park for an extended period of time, whereas it does account for time stopped in the city (with transmission in drive, and foot on the brake) as part of it's city MPG rating.
I've thought about this but it seems like there's no reason they couldn't treat it like having your foot on the brake (or the auto-brake on) at a stop -- if you are there idling too long it then re-engages the engine even if you are still stopped. But the immediately kick-in the engine in seems preemptive when it already has the capacity to detect when it needs the turn it on again.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've thought about this but it seems like there's no reason they couldn't treat it like having your foot on the brake (or the auto-brake on) at a stop -- if you are there idling too long it then re-engages the engine even if you are still stopped. But the immediately kick the engine in seems preemptive when it already has the capacity to detect when it needs the turn it on again.
True. Fair point.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Malicious exaggeration at its best. The Start/Stop feature on the XC90 is one of the least intrusive systems in the industry. More perceptible in the S60/S80/V60 but not in the XC90.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts