SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you all: Just in the last few days, my Start/Stop Engine button has been working differently. I have the PCC. Since I've had the car, all I've had to do is touch the Start/Stop Engine button briefly and the car would turn over and start on its own. Now, however, I have to hold the button to make it turn over and keep holding it until the car starts.

The PCC is still working fine, as I can lock/unlock the car from 20 feet away.

I also tried sticking the PCC in the key slot and touching the button like I used to, but that didn't work either.

Anybody have any ideas why this suddenly changed? Did I do something to make this change?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
sounds like a degraded battery to me, you have a 2012, 3 years on an OEM battery should be fine, however maybe your battery has a shortened life for whatever reason.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Any chance your main battery (the car's, not the fob's) is getting weak? Have you been driving less frequently / taking shorter trips? That would mean the battery has longer to discharge and less time to charge. And it is cold so the engine has a harder time starting. And the battery is approaching 4 years old.

Another possibility, based on some older models, is that the fuel system is not holding pressure after shutdown -- so it takes too long to pressurize and the computer says "I should stop cranking".

I've noticed that mine takes a bit longer to start in the cold weather/after a lot of short trips. Instead of push, click, fuel pump hum, and what seems like 1/2 turn of the crankcase starts, it sounds like 2-4 revolutions before a start.

I monitor battery voltage via OBD; during this time of year/short drives, I notice high charging voltages (14.8-15.2) along with the eco-charge mode not engaging.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Question for you all: Just in the last few days, my Start/Stop Engine button has been working differently. I have the PCC. Since I've had the car, all I've had to do is touch the Start/Stop Engine button briefly and the car would turn over and start on its own. Now, however, I have to hold the button to make it turn over and keep holding it until the car starts.
The only time my button has behaved differently was after a dead car battery. When I went to jump start the car a simple touch of the Start/Stop button would not engage the starter. I had to hold the button down, as you did, to get it to turn over. So perhaps your CEM is detecting a low battery condition. But if the battery was that low you should be getting a "Low Battery Voltage" message on the DIM.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only time my button has behaved differently was after a dead car battery. When I went to jump start the car a simple touch of the Start/Stop button would not engage the starter. I had to hold the button down, as you did, to get it to turn over. So perhaps your CEM is detecting a low battery condition. But if the battery was that low you should be getting a "Low Battery Voltage" message on the DIM.
That's quite interesting. When we had the couple of days where we in Chicagoland barely made it above 0 degrees, I walked out to the car after having it sit in the train station parking lot all day and it turned over very slowly. It started, but I started thinking that maybe I should invest in a new battery. It is kept overnight in my garage which hardly ever goes below freezing. It hasn't thrown any codes or warning messages yet, but maybe some preventative maintenance needs to be done. Will give it a try and see if it changes the behavior.

Thanks everyone for the input!!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
That's quite interesting. When we had the couple of days where we in Chicagoland barely made it above 0 degrees, I walked out to the car after having it sit in the train station parking lot all day and it turned over very slowly.
Yeah, it's probably time to replace the battery. A slow cranking engine is my queue to replace the battery. I saw the low batt warning message once or twice in the morning a few years ago. I think it was related to the battery drain problem with the satellite radio which was fixed with software. I never saw a low battery warning after that. In fact, not even after I almost killed my battery with an accessory that I left plugged in the OBDII port. It's quite possible Volvo eliminated that message or changed the trigger point in a CEM update. The car did start normally though.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Any chance your main battery (the car's, not the fob's) is getting weak? Have you been driving less frequently / taking shorter trips? That would mean the battery has longer to discharge and less time to charge. And it is cold so the engine has a harder time starting. And the battery is approaching 4 years old.

Another possibility, based on some older models, is that the fuel system is not holding pressure after shutdown -- so it takes too long to pressurize and the computer says "I should stop cranking".

I've noticed that mine takes a bit longer to start in the cold weather/after a lot of short trips. Instead of push, click, fuel pump hum, and what seems like 1/2 turn of the crankcase starts, it sounds like 2-4 revolutions before a start.

I monitor battery voltage via OBD; during this time of year/short drives, I notice high charging voltages (14.8-15.2) along with the eco-charge mode not engaging.
We were some the ones afflicted with the low fuel pressure issue. We never had to hold the button, we just touched it once and it would crank for a long time.

As others have said its probably the battery. Before replacing I would have it tested. No point in wasting money, if its something else, like a bad switch.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had a new Bosch battery installed last night. Lo and behold, the Start/Stop Engine button is working properly again. It must have been the battery.

Thanks all for the help!!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Hopefully that was the cause, but I suspect simply disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery might have yielded the same results, at least until the computer detected the weak battery again, if that is what's happening. If it was it would have been nice to see a message on the DIM, something to the effect of, "Slow Cranking Speed Detected Please Check Battery" If it wasn't I guess you'll find out soon enough..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Amazing what you can learn on forums :).

Being relatively new to Volvo ownership, I was not aware of the "single push" start button feature to start the engine on my '13 RD. (I had been holding the button in when I started the car, which is what I have had to do with other cars I've had with a "start" button.)
Tried the single push this morning for the first time, and it works perfectly! Kind of slick--thanks for revealing this new (to me) feature.

·
Registered
2012 S60 T5
66 Posts
Fix = battery disconnect/reconnect

Question for you all: Just in the last few days, my Start/Stop Engine button has been working differently...... Since I've had the car, all I've had to do is touch the Start/Stop Engine button briefly and the car would turn over and start on its own. Now, however, I have to hold the button to make it turn over and keep holding it until the car starts.....

Anybody have any ideas why this suddenly changed? Did I do something to make this change?
My '12 S60 T5 just today started exhibiting this exact same symptom.

Ever since it was new it took just a quick tap on the Start/Stop button and the engine would crank during and after finger left the button. Very convenient and well-described in the Owner Manual as "Auto Start" feature.

Then today the engine would NOT continue to crank/start after my normal quick-tap. Over 6-8 times in a row, just the same new behavior as I made my rounds. No warnings, no DIM display, battery is just 3yrs old and the starter cranks fast - when it cranks.

Keeping my finger on the button til the engine started wasn't a big problem but definitely a change that was inconvenient to me. I decided to look into it a bit.

After reading this thread and noting Posts #8 and #9 I decided that the first thing to try was disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery, depowering the computers, then reattaching.

Detached the neg. cable from the battery post, reattached it after waiting 30min and....Bingo! Problem solved.

The car's clock had to be reset afterward but all the radio presets and MyCar settings were still there after restoring the power.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
That's good to know! I had a loan that required the start/stop button to be held down for cranking. Battery seemed fine so I wondered what would cause this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts