SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having the same problem as was posted some time ago in this post: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?535458-Start-Stop-Nightmare-3-Starters-in-2-years

Namely, after start/stop activates (shuts down the engine normally), I find that the engine has completely shut down and needs to be put into Park or Neutral and re-started with knob. Only now ... it often doesn't restart at all. Just a solitary <click> but nothing else. After repeatedly trying (while blocking traffic in the road), it will eventually start again (after about 3-5 minutes of trying).

This has happened about 3 times in the last 2 weeks, after 2.5 years of ownership and 51,000 miles (just out of warranty!)

Heading to dealer in 2 days, but wondering if there's a known issue here. Would hate to be stuck in cycle of repeatedly replacing starter motor or battery. Any advice/suggestions welcome!

--
MY2017 XC90 T6 Momentum (via OSD in October 2016)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Back in the day that click was the dreaded sound of a dead starter solenoid. I suspect there is a bad batch of starters being installed.

I would suggest raising a complaint to Volvo Corporate if they do not immediately replace under warranty for a defective replacement part installed by an authorized dealer.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yikes--something out of the ordinary there. My A/S/S will only work once on a leg if I'm lucky and has always re-started. Definitely a bust feature, at least on my 2015, and I envision getting to the point some day of disabling it after every start, so's I don't have to post something like what you are experiencing. Especially since changing a main battery requires a trip to the dealer to reset the BMS....

·
Registered
11 Posts
We’ve had our 2016 T6 Inscription now for almost 3 months. Our issue has been the A/S/S stranding us in bad situations (blocking traffic). We took it to the dealer. They re-flashed the software. Seemed to have improved but it has now happened twice again. My wife (its her car really)always disables A/S/S upon every start. I don’t (i’m Daring it to happen again). I am thinking it only happens when I’ve let up on the brake pedal to “creep” forward a bit and re-pushed to stop a few times. I think it confuses the software and it just freezes to a default of (put it in P or N to restart) and it won’t start. if I open the door slightly and shut it, it resets everything and I can then re-crank as normal. I think as long as I solidly do a complete release of the brake pedal it starts fine. I think its the subtle riding of the pedal, like in stopped traffic, that causes this to happen. Again, we’ve only had it for 3 months or so, but this is my theory. Wish we could just disable the whole A/S/S system (wish there was a polestar or similar computer tune/flash that could provide this option).

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Volvo thanks you for your continued beta testing of the A/S/S...

·
Registered
674 Posts
It really sucks that they won't let us permanently disable the feature. My start-stop stopped working a couple years ago and I couldn't be happier. I absolutely hate it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update ... Had to have it towed to the dealer as it would not start at all. According to them a cable had wiggled loose from the starter and had a bad connection (and a bit of corrosion). It's been reliable for a few days since I've had it back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reviving an old thread ... because the problem re-surfaced. I guess the old "loose cable" solution might not have been the right one as the same thing is happening 5 months later (auto-stopping, but then not restarting). Re-posting to see if others have had the same problem. In my case:
- stop at a stop sign or traffic light, and car shuts off (normal behavior)
- take foot off brake, car does not restart (not normal behavior)
- no clicking noises; shifter (still) in "D"; trying to start using start knob does nothing;

... and what's a little scarier ... this time I was at the top of a hill, and when taking foot off brake (while shifter in "D") car started to roll backwards which almost caused an accident with the car behind me (who ultimately had to go around as I was "stuck" with a stalled car)

Eventually after 60 seconds or so and a lot of fiddling with the start knob and shifter, I got it to start again.

After 5 months of reliability, this happened twice in the last few days. Similar pattern happened in April with periodic problems over a few days and then finally totally dead - will not restart at all and had to have it towed. Seems like the same thing all over again.

Anyone else having similar issues?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Somewhat unsurprisingly ... my 2017 XC90 did eventually degrade from an intermittent A/S/S restart issue into a car-won't-start-at-all issue (just like happened back in April). Brought it to the dealer during the intermittent phase of the problem (where A/S/S would stop the engine at a light but car wouldn't restart for a few minutes). Since they were unable to replicate the problem and did not see any codes, they weren't able to do anything.

Then after several more days, I parked the car, and when coming back later was unable to restart it at all. Had to have it towed to the dealer who spent a few hours trying to find a cause (unsuccessfully) and then wound up doing a software upgrade (so I'm out $700 since the problem started 1,000 miles after my warranty was up). Dealer tested both batteries (both passed).

This is clearly not an isolated incident, as a quick Internet search turns up a half-dozen different posts (some with more than one person/car having issues). Seems like just a matter of time before it causes an accident (car stopped/stalled on busy road).

For those interested in researching further here some links I found (including link to this thread);

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?608535-Auto-Start-Stop-Won%92t-Restart-In-Traffic!!

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?535458-Start-Stop-Nightmare-3-Starters-in-2-years

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?596933-Start-stop-but-won-t-restart&highlight=restart

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...rt-fails-at-a-traffic-light&highlight=restart

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...estart-during-stop-start&p=7436355#post743635

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t68386_ds937756

·
Registered
851 Posts
This has not happened to me yet (knock wood) but this is why I do not trust stop/start systems. Mine only rarely works anyway, which is fine by me. I would rather just get rid of it. The benefits are trivial, and the costs are potentially high-- embarrassment at best, causing an accident at worst.

·
Registered
16 Posts
... Do you suppose this is the reason that Volvo has added the ability to SHUT OFF "A/S/S" permanently on the center large screen of my 2019 XC-90 Inscription ??? Hmmmmmmm !!! :-O

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Me thinks some of us with the older A/S/S will have a software update in the future to permanently put A/S/S to bed. Nice try...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just when through this issue with my wife's 2018 XC90 T6. It started about a month ago, intermittently. Happened to her in traffic a few times. It usually restarted after a few minutes. Then it went from not starting after A/S/S to simply not starting even from a normal start (i.e. when not driving). I eventually had it towed to the dealer and they hurriedly said it was a bad battery, replaced it and sent me on my way. Two days later, it would not start again. Had it towed back to the dealer. This time, they said it was a defective starter and replaced it.
I really wish I could just permanently disable this feature. All the towing & repairs have been covered by warranty, but I'd hate to incur this expense when the warranty runs out. Parts/labor tally for the starter was over $700. A/S/S will probably not save me that amount even over the life of the car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Maybe only peripherally related.... My MY16 Inscription would suddenly not shift into Reverse or Park a couple of days ago. I have probably a post to make about that on another thread, but after they fixed that with a very expensive software update, THEN the car threw a warning, apparently, about needing a new battery for the start/stop motor. Do you suppose a dead batter for the start/stop motor would cause what everyone else is experiencing?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My intermittent A/S/S issues--says ye dealer--can be fixed with replacing the remote battery--fat chance, says I...

One day it will die for good and I'll have permanently disabled A/S/S, which won't make Greta happy, but there it is...

·
Registered
33 Posts
It really sucks that they won't let us permanently disable the feature. My start-stop stopped working a couple years ago and I couldn't be happier. I absolutely hate it.
If I could be so lucky!

I wish there was a fuse for just this feature because I would pull it out and toss it into the deepest abyss I could find.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My intermittent A/S/S issues--says ye dealer--can be fixed with replacing the remote battery--fat chance, says I...

One day it will die for good and I'll have permanently disabled A/S/S, which won't make Greta happy, but there it is...
LOL, that was exactly what I thought when I found out you couldn't permanently disable this.. "what, does Greta's dad work at Volvo or something?".

Sheesh.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I could be so lucky!

I wish there was a fuse for just this feature because I would pull it out and toss it into the deepest abyss I could find.
Somebody mentioned to unplug the "Support Battery"? Not sure if this will bring any collateral damage...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts