SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife went to start her 2005 XC90 2.5T this morning and it wouldn't start. It made absolutly no sound.<p>But the warning message box did displace "Start Prevented. . .please try again."<p>She tried several times. . .no luck. Still no sound and the same error message.<p>Her dad came by about 1.5 hours later. . .turned the key and it started.<p>Any idea what happened?<p>She said she checked to make sure the gear was in the Park position.<p>Terry

·
Registered
699 Posts
Re: Start Prevented Please Try again???? (deosola)

It may have been that the car did not sense the electronic chip in the key, I have read in various places that other keys and remotes on the same key ring will sometimes interfere with the signal, causing the car not to start. <p>One factory rep even told me that the car key should be kept by itself (without other keys), so that it avoids interference and to prevents the ignition from locking out. <p>This may have been the cause<br>

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Start Prevented Please Try again???? (need4spd)

I spoke to my dealer. . .they mentioned a similar thing. It may be the the chip inside the key not "matching" up. They suggest that the next time it happens, to pull the key out, use the remote to lock the car, use the remote to unlock the car and try starting it again.<p>

·
Registered
12 Posts

Just read your post today. This happened to me once, and my dealer service advisor suggested I have the car towed in on a flatbed. I called Volvo's 800 number and someone walked me through the fix. As I recall, it went something like this: take out the key and walk away from the car. Like, at least 100 feet away. Wait for a couple minutes. Walk back. Start the car. <p>Apparently, there is some combination of things that can cause the key and the car to have to "reset" by being separated. I called the service advisor back, and they were delighted to learn something new that day, too.

·
Registered
57 Posts

As I understand, from what a technician indicated at our local shop, this could also be related to a faulty 'antenna' in the car that receives the signal from the chip in the key fob. Not sure about the details, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts