SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, my wife tried to start her brand new S60 AWD and it cranked and cranked but didn't start. A message appeared in the message display that said "Start Prevented". The lights were on, so we know it wasn't the battery (it probably wouldn't have even cranked with a bad battery) so we just waited a few minutes and tried again. It started up without a problem. What does this message mean? Any ideas?<BR>I am going to call our dealer as well, but thought I would see if anyone here knew what this message meant.<BR>Thanks.<BR>Michael

·
Registered
300 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by meinstei:<BR><B>This morning, my wife tried to start her brand new S60 AWD and it cranked and cranked but didn't start. A message appeared in the message display that said "Start Prevented". The lights were on, so we know it wasn't the battery (it probably wouldn't have even cranked with a bad battery) so we just waited a few minutes and tried again. It started up without a problem. What does this message mean? Any ideas?<BR>I am going to call our dealer as well, but thought I would see if anyone here knew what this message meant.<BR>Thanks.<BR>Michael</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Most likely the ECU thought for some reason that some parameter was out of range enough that it didn't want to start the engine. The ECU checks all the voltages from the myriad sensors when you first start cranking. If, say, the throttle position sensor indicated it was at full (wide open) throttle, then the ECU would think that was an 'error' and prevent the car from starting, just so it wouldn't rev the engine to 6000 RPM in 2 seconds.<P>The second time you tried to start it, the erroneous parameter was somehow reset, and the ECU let the engine start.<P>Out of curiosity, was her foot on the gas pedal during the attempted start? With fuel injected engines, that could confuse the ECU into just such a condition. It's not necessary at all because the ECU controls the actual throttle plate position. I put my foot on the brake when I start the car, and it works just fine.<P>Anyway, the dealer will be able to read the fault code and let you know if it was that or some other faulty sensor (I may be totally off base here because I have no access to the car.) <P>Best of luck, hope you get it fixed soon.<BR>

·
Registered
54 Posts
hey man, i have a 01 S60 2.4t. look dont panic about that message. I took my car to the dealer and they reset my keys or something and it never happened agian. Its not an engine problem cuase they didnt have to touch it. So just call the dealer make sure u take in all the keys and they will re-do them for you. and it shouldnt happen agian. <P>WiseGuy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
**UPDATE**<BR>I spoke with my Volvo service department and they told me that this is a problem with the security chip in the keys. I need to bring in my car with all of our keys and they will "reprogram" them or something. They said it will take about an hour.<BR>Michael

·
Registered
300 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by meinstei:<BR><B>**UPDATE**<BR>I spoke with my Volvo service department and they told me that this is a problem with the security chip in the keys. I need to bring in my car with all of our keys and they will "reprogram" them or something. They said it will take about an hour.<BR>Michael</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>OK, great news. I was totally off the mark.<P>But that's OK, now you know how to get it fixed.<P>And in the end, that's all that matters.<P>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts