SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it was raining all day and I went to my car, and found a pretty good sized puddle on my floor on the drivers side floor. then I noticed the panel on the roof was soaked.

I haven't had the windshield replaced,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

·
2,523 Posts
Yo.. maybe you should clean the interior first? Then treat that atacama

Have you had something done with the sunroof? Maybe a seal gave up on the windsheild or sunroof. Cant image it to leak anywhere else unless you left a window/door open. I think the roof is a one peice deal but Im not sure.

That carpet is right ontop of metal, there must be a lot more water underneath. Try blot drying with a towel and vacuuming it dry. Maybe some rice to sit overnight. But you'll need to air dry that sucker for days then it may smell like a$$ afterwards. Member "TheDriver" can probs help with cleanup advice

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's after I took the other carpet thing that was above it. and the leather was like that when I bought it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and thanks Adam, I'm assuming the sunroof drain has to be pretty obvious space on the roof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you roll back your sunroof and there is water in this lip, that's probably the issue.

Used to my sunroof wouldn't shut all the way, but would look like it was closed. It was just enough for some water to come in, and one way or another it would run from that lip out behind the dash. My headliner stayed dry.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Couldn't it be that the window was open a crack, because my xc70 has those one touch express up windows and a lot of times I hit it up but when it gets to the top it goes back down a bit

·
Registered
257 Posts
There should be a hole in the very front front left corner in that lip. I'd say there's a good chance that it's clogged. You could always poor a bit of water in that lip and see if it trickles into your floorboard. Ideally, it'll empty out under the fender iirc

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
holes are in all 4 corners of the sunroof, i think

search this forum for sunroof drain

and check youtube for videos on how to fixz. drain line runs from the drain holes in the sunroof (front) down the a-pillar and then out

There will be a TON of water under the carpet. Fixing the clog is easy. Getting the water out takes time.

some people remove all the carpet, etc. Not easy.

for water to damage the headliner, that means it's not just that the drain line is clogged, but maybe the drainhole, itself, is clogged, so the water is backing up inside the sunroof, rather than just down inside the drain line.....

but search the forum - there are good threads on this

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Two holes in the front corners, tubes near the rear sunroof rails. Its almost a given the front drains are clogged. There is a fitting in the front drain tubes that clogs with dirt. They are located in the front A pillars. You can try compressed air and blown down through the holes in the front of the sunroof cassette. That may temporarily fix the problem but looks like you park under a tree given all the debris in the cowl. That is the main cause of water leaks is parking under trees. Over time the buildup of pollen and debris clogs many water drains throughout vehicles.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Couldn't it be that the window was open a crack, because my xc70 has those one touch express up windows and a lot of times I hit it up but when it gets to the top it goes back down a bit
Search "window calibration." That should correct that :)

Sent from my A1320G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
To help with getting all the water out, I will drill a small hole in the corner of the floor pan so if any additional water ever leaks in it will at least drain out again. By small I mean 1/8" and I've never had water get back in from the drilled hole so its a win win. Just be careful where you drill as there can be hoses and wiring underneath.

·
Registered
258 Posts
With the pillar being wet it's more likely a case of the connection between the drain in the sunroof and the tube that runs down inside the pillar coming apart. Happened to me last fall. Fortunately I was in the car while it happened so I didn't soak the floor carpet. Pull that pillar cover off and reach up just over the headliner and you should be able to feel the 2 separate pieces that need to be fitted back together. I put a little glue or caulk on mine to make sure that it didn't come apart again as it was a bit of a pita to reach.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Unless it was a super heavy rain, having the sunroof cracked just a little bit wouldn't cause that. Most people don't know but water gets around the sunroof seal all the time which is why they have a designed drain system down the two a-pillars and I assume down the c-pillars (or is it considered a d-pillar on these cars?).

I've never seen the result of those drain passages clogging but it looks like it really sucks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
To help with getting all the water out, I will drill a small hole in the corner of the floor pan so if any additional water ever leaks in it will at least drain out again. By small I mean 1/8" and I've never had water get back in from the drilled hole so its a win win. Just be careful where you drill as there can be hoses and wiring underneath.
I would not do this. soak it up properly and get one of those dehumidifying pellets pack from a hardware store. I used a can of compressed air to clean mine out and it's been fine for years.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am not certain on the driver side, but i had a similar issue on the passenger side. It turned out to be debris below the cowl plastic cover that limited water drain flow. Seeing that you have a bunch of leaves and etc on your cowl, i would try to clean out the debris and the related drain.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Make sure you fix the issue before it really gets pounded by heavy rain and the footwell fills with a little swimming pool. If the pool reaches the SUM modeule on the right of the footwell you're in big trouble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sunroof drain tube for sure..... clean it out and modify the fitting at the end of tube, the elbow is to small and allows for easy backing up, there was a bulletin on xc90's for this, I repair there them all the time and I can tell by the leafs in you door jam by the check strap you are carrying around alot of debris.
Cheers,
Matt

1 - 20 of 20 Posts