SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts
The B&W on volvo is quite unique.

The Subwoofer is integrated in the chassis somewhere around one of the backwheel , this allows the whole interior to be used as subwoofer instead of a bolted on addon.
The sound virtualisation/spatialisation software only (used for the gothenburg theater and stuff) costs more than the whole upgrade (I think it's Dirax or something like that).

The only complaint I have heard on the B&W setup is that it has a 'nasal' sound quality because of the tweeter on top .

Personnally I have really enjoyed my HK on my V70 which I find absolutely exquisite. but I can't wait to experience the B&W on my future car.
Dang man.......between you and BoneDoc I think I need to check it out now!!!

I wouldn't consider wattage just a marketing tool. Have you ever heard the meridian 1700w system in the range rover autobiography?? it has 29 speakers (wow) in the cabin and is at least twice as good as any factory upgraded system I have ever heard.
yes. i owned one. as well as the one in the l320 rrs-sc and l322 rrsc. all my vehicles get the premium sound package because i spend a lot of time in the vehicles and when i do i want to enjoy the music as much as the ride. my point is that in some cases or most cases wattage is used more for marketing than anything else because there are systems with less wattage that sound just as good. loud isn't an issue. anybody can make something loud. clarity is key. with the systems above and the b&o found in the q7, s/rs7, s8 you can put it at any volume setting and the sound is as clear as it would be if you're listening to the singer in person for a private session.

I spent a fair bit of time with the standard vs B&W. I even spent 30 min at one time with the standard setup, just listening to various music I have, known tracks where I know what the sound should be like.

In the end, since I went with the Inscription, I decided to splurge and go for the B&W. Don't get me wrong, the standard is EXCELLENT. I would say that if you have to ask the question, then the standard is more than just good enough for you. It does NOT have a sub, but it really does well without it. Volume at mid level is excellent. Clarity is good. Bass is punchy.

So why did I go for the B&W? I notice a bit more clarity at the low end, as well as the upper mid-range. The tweeter facing you is not only a cool-looking feature, but it prevents sonic bounce from the windshield. The separate subwoofer control can further be tuned for preference. The optional reverb options can also bring out the best out of certain recordings. Pick the Gothenburg Hall when listening to classical music, and you'll feel like you're in the middle of the performance. Simply brilliant.
Odd. I tested out the standard system and was underwhelmed. Clarity wasn't that great -- it sounded a bit muted or muddy. Bass was lacking. I didn't play with all the features, but I walked away thinking I wouldn't be satisfied with this sound in my road trip car. Looks like I have to pay up for the B&W...

Nah. First of all, you need to set all the setting to zero. I flattened all the EQ, turned off the tone adjustment. When it's completely flat (and the EQ on your music player of choice is also flat), then it sounds great. You always want to test everything at no EQ, and go from there. Plenty of bass and clarity (for across the board music listening pleasure).

To sort out who produces what, out of the tech documents I've seen:

HIGH PERF (Standard)
Alpine 8x28W system
10x Speakers, brand Foster
Alpine subwoofer as option

PREMIUM
Harman Kardon 12x123W system
19x Speakers, brand Bowers&Wilkins
Alpine subwoofer standard

I spoke extensively with my dealer yesterday, and was thinking of upgrading. Unfortunately, I was 4 days past the cut-off date for changes on our T8. I was OK with the standard system though. But - the good news - we are 6 weeks out from getting the T8!!

I think the standard sound system is not too bad. Plenty of bass without the subwoofer, unless you are a bass head with aftermarket subwoofers previously. Upper volumes lose a bit of clarity and bass gets a little muddy, but that's at higher than normal volumes i usually listen too. Got this for the wife so haven't spent touch time in it though.

I enjoy my B&O sound system in my S5, and enjoy my iem's JVC FX850, VSonic GR07 BE, Fidue A83. Not top of the line stuff but just saying XC90 stock system is decent.

So the standard system has 10 speakers. Anyone know the location of the speakers. I think I know but in my Momentum+, I see additional grills that I'm not sure have anything behind them. For example, on the dash there is a large grill there but not sure if there are speakers there. In the rear doors, there are grills at the top by the door handle but not sure if anything is there either. From what I can gather, there are 3 speakers on each front door, 1 speaker each on the rear doors at the bottom, and 2 speakers in the ceiling by the 3rd row. Am I missing something?

I liked the sound of the B&W system but what really got me was the way it looked as BoneDoc stated! The look of the grills and the speaker covers on the door panels with the yellow cones showing were awesome looking along with the dash! The B&W really dresses up the interior and sets it off IMO!

I liked the sound of the B&W system but what really got me was the way it looked as BoneDoc stated! The look of the grills and the speaker covers on the door panels with the yellow cones showing were awesome looking along with the dash! The B&W really dresses up the interior and sets it off IMO!
I agree that the brushed metal grills and yellow kevlar drivers of the B&W speakers look awesome!

Ditto. It simply looks classy. Now 2650 dollars for an ornament is definitely too much. However, people have spent much more on body kits, and other aspects of things. If it were just that, I'd save it for the Air Suspension. But to those whom premium sound matters, it does deliver a noticeably better experience (albeit not as much, since standard sound is already excellent).

Is the sound system loud enough to annoy the person sitting at the traffic light next to you?
any radio will do that if all the windows are down... if the vehicle is insulated well enough and all windows closed it should not annoy any other motorists.
personally i find it very annoying when people blast their music through residential areas or at odd hours... i think loud music should be reserved for highway or commercial areas but what annoys me more is whenever someone does drive by with music blaring it is NEVER a good song. i have NEVER in my life thought to myself damn that song is good.

The difference between High Performance and B&W audio is, both sound and design, between Excellent and Supreme ;)

I selected High Performance because I'm not that audiophile. From design point of view, please check my 'standard' interior :cool:

personally i find it very annoying when people blast their music through residential areas or at odd hours....
I agree with you 100%, though I made just this mistake last week. I was listening to some music really LOUD as I was driving home on the freeway, and I didn't turn it down when I hit my neighborhood, until I was IN my driveway listening to the last minute of the song and realize my sunroof was down. I had BLASTED my entire neighborhood. Ugh.

and it doesn't matter that it wasn't hip hop/rap - it was still way too loud for my tastes.

and I was driving slowly through the neighborhood (creeping, actually, which is my new practice when I'm within a few hundred yards of my house)

very bad

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.