SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you set it up right you can great results. "Bass heads are on their own!!! The companies tune these systems like boom boxes not like sound systems. It is a shame and the
EQ is not extensive enough to fix all the choices they make.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Take a listen and compare with the B& W video.
If you set it up right you can great results. "Bass heads are on their own!!! The companies tune these systems like boom boxes not like sound systems. It is a shame and the
EQ is not extensive enough to fix all the choices they make.
It is good but with the B&W it's really... really... really... GOOD!!! Trust me! ;) Besides you can't compare those two with just listening to the videos, you should hear the B&W in person.

I had the XC90 that has the standard audio for 5k+ miles and now with the B&W - there's really no turning back after that. ;)

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you set it up right you can great results.
I agree to it sounds very good, and that's without any tweaking. I honestly have little idea where to start making adjustments to improve the sound. I understand everyone's listening tastes are different, however I'd greatly appreciate any suggested settings or starting points. TIA!

·
Registered
243 Posts
There are some hearing tests on the web which can check if you have hearing loss.
If you can't pass the mosquito test, I don't see why extra high quality is worth it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
There are some hearing tests on the web which can check if you have hearing loss.
If you can't pass the mosquito test, I don't see why extra high quality is worth it.
Yes and no. There is more to sound quality than just frequency range - although that is certainly important. Phase coherence is toward the top of the list. If the B&W system improves phase coherence (which in theory it should do given the processing being done and the geometry of the speakers), then it will sound better even to folks with much-attenuated high-frequency sensitivity.

·
Registered
487 Posts
H&K

(+1) Love the standard sound from the H&K. Others have mentioned that they really like the look of the B&W (I get it) but I absolutely love the clean dash lines with the standard sound and no central speaker. Again, personal preference. I have zero complaints with H&K. Just some minor tweaking on the EQ and haven't touched it since the initial set-up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
674 Posts
When my XC90 was in the shop the other day, they gave me a brand new V60 as a loaner. All I can say is that the standard sound system in the XC90 absolutely BLOWS AWAY the system in the V60. I couldn't beleive how bad it sounded in comparison. At first, I assumed somebody had messed with the equalizer settings, but there was nothing I could do to make it sound any better. It made me appreciate just how good the standard system in our XC90 is. Obviously, it's not as good as the B&W system, but it's no slouch by any means.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The B&W is phenomenal...I'm sure the stock is good as well. It's so far has been my favorite option...since I use it all the time :)

Concert at the Gothenburg Hall is my favorite setting.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I much rather spend that money on air suspension! Glad to hear the standard sound system works great. I'm sure it's much better than what I have now on my X5 :D

·
Registered
'15.5 Volvo V60 Cross Country
442 Posts
Question on the XC90 sound systems - Do either the standard or B&O systems include a hard drive for storing your own music via CD upload? My wife loves that feature in our current '14 BMW SportWagon

·
Registered
702 Posts
tibits...that was my post..lol lets see..if i can find out.
haha, nice

Do either the standard or B&O systems include a hard drive for storing your own music via CD upload?
No they do not. One thing to be aware of if considering the B&O is that (at least when I ordered in Sept) the CD player can NOT be deleted from the system. There isn't a ton of storage in the XC90 and the CD player eats up the majority of the front console.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Question on the XC90 sound systems - Do either the standard or B&O systems include a hard drive for storing your own music via CD upload? My wife loves that feature in our current '14 BMW SportWagon
Bang and Olufsen do not make the XC90 system, Bowers and Wilkins do... :)

Also, no, you cannot save to the internal hard drive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A car's sound system is an extremely subjective purchase, I believe. Anyone can benefit from options that improve performance, safety or comfort- and I gladly paid for most of those on the XC90. However, my wife doesn't listen to music in any car, and my ears have been beat up by 40 years around jet aircraft. So, to me anyway, the standard XC90 system sounds great and the BW would have been a waste. I also wouldn't buy a sound system just because I liked the way the speakers look. Seriously?

So to each his own folks, but I will venture that no potential buyer should feel the standard system is inadequate or that they will be disappointed if they buy the car that way. It's really nice....not as good as the B&W no doubt, but very nice nonetheless. I'm equally glad those of you who bought the B&W system like it. We all want to like our cars. Just my 2 cents:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Using the USB is much easier. Once the music is on the stick, there is virtually no difference between a physical HD and the USB. Well, the HD can malfunction at some point and be very expensive/complicated to replace. A stick costs virtually nothing and can be replaced in a matter of seconds.

I'm using an SD-card on my Jeep with more than 11,000 songs on it and I certainly don't need a HD.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have my XC90 on order with the standard sound system and with the optional vented subwoofer (which I believe is the same as the one in the B&W system).
I believe this option was only available in some European countries.

Does anybody have this combination? And how does that sound?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts