SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after almost a year of not really driving the R (Only put 500 miles on it this year, got a bike lol). It's time to start going crazy on it.

So it seems to me one of the reasons for the slow 1/4 mile times of these cars at least in the case of the automatic that you can't make boost at the line. So has anyone seen or heard of a higher stall converter so that I could brake boost to day 3k where it could build say 10 to 12 psi?

Seems to me that would help get a 1.6 to 1.7 60 foot. Which should allow for a low 13 at 103 or so for a stock engine and a 12 second pass for a car that's had the intercooler downpipe and larger compressor with a good tune.

The other option I was considering was to find a way to ramp up boost at a lower rom however if memory serves correct that risks bending rods as they don't like boost at lower rpms.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Non-turbo TC's are higher stall speed.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea how much more / actual stall speed?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I don't have the numbers in front of me. Stall speed is dependent on the engine torque so the numbers wouldn't represent what you would see. The stall speed listed for testing in service literature is higher. Volvo expresses the TC in K factor.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It feels like my car is making full boost at the line when launched, but the stock stall speed is just to low to properly launch our heavy cars (I'm over 4200 lbs with my fat ass in the car).

I would contact IPT and see if they can build a high stall converter for our cars. They are pretty popular with the AT DSM guys. With a high stall converter, and a good trans cooler these cars could be very quick off the line.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It feels like my car is making full boost at the line when launched, but the stock stall speed is just to low to properly launch our heavy cars (I'm over 4200 lbs with my fat ass in the car).

I would contact IPT and see if they can build a high stall converter for our cars. They are pretty popular with the AT DSM guys. With a high stall converter, and a good trans cooler these cars could be very quick off the line.
Have you ever looked at a boost gauge while power braking the car? Mine doesn't exceed 5 psi

·
2,521 Posts
(I'm over 4200 lbs with my fat ass in the car).
LOL true that. I'd be interested in modifying the trans for better performace too. Was thinking of a cooler because after a very steep slope, it shifts funny until the fluid temp cools down again.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
LOL true that. I'd be interested in modifying the trans for better performace too. Was thinking of a cooler because after a very steep slope, it shifts funny until the fluid temp cools down again.
The number one killer of auto transmissions is heat. Get a good sized external cooler, then delete the OEM cooler that is part of the radiator which likes to go bad and kill the tran by mixing trans fluid and engine coolant. Kill two birds with one stone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts