SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a number of people here have either spec'd their XC90 with or are thinking of ordering the Stainless Steel Bumper Cover accessory. Does anyone have any real world impressions here? Is this part worth it? Does it actually protect the bumper or is it just a styling item?

For reference, I'm talking about this: http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-482334/2016

I'm also curious if water gets trapped behind it since in the pics it looks like there is a sizable gap between the inside edge of the bumper and this trim piece.

Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had it installed at the port on mine. I'll try and remember to take some pics tonight (not driving that car today).

I got it for the purpose of protection (not styling) as based on results from out last SUV that part of the bumper got pretty beat up by the end from careless baggage handling, stroller loading, dogs jumping in and out of he back, etc.

Will comment on the water question as well, never thought about that. It's raining today so will be a good day to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
+1
I think this looks pretty cool, as well, but also wondered about the practicality of it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
+1
I think this looks pretty cool, as well, but also wondered about the practicality of it.
Same thought. Waiting to hear for real world experience. I'm going to miss my split tailgate... :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
This may have been mentioned in the other thread, but is this available for post-delivery dealer installation, as well? What is the cost for just the rear trim piece?

·
Registered
381 Posts
We had it put on ours principally to protect the top of the bumper from being scratched. So far, it has served it's purpose. Not a lot of expense to address a persistent problem IMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is 125$ accessory that can be done at dealer.. I am also thinking of adding it.. From what I understand it is also part of the protection package that comes with Rubber mats for the inside as well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the protection package, and I did not get the stainless steel bumper cover as part of that.
I looked at the install directions and it's basically a metal plate with an adhesive backing and a pull-off paper. Would be very easy to do yourself if you are good at positioning stickers on things...

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've installed these types of accessories on my previous vehicles and although it takes some time (if you want to do it right), it really is not that difficult. And it will save you money in the process. If the dealer can't give me a good deal I usually go online to get the OEM parts. I've saved hundreds of $ that way.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Here is another picture:

My questions:
- Does the glue damage the paint?
- Does it start coming off from the corners over time because of the water exposure, etc?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I have the protection package, and I did not get the stainless steel bumper cover as part of that.
I looked at the install directions and it's basically a metal plate with an adhesive backing and a pull-off paper. Would be very easy to do yourself if you are good at positioning stickers on things...
You got the Protection package, not the Protection Plus package.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the dealer install mine before taking delivery, and for $180 AUD it's well worth it. A) it looks nice, and adds a bit to the rear imo. B) it is useful for someone like me putting prams in the car, or even when getting in the back to pull up the third row seats

·
Registered
427 Posts
as I've scratched the corner of the bumper inside 2 weeks of having the car, I've installed the bumper cover. It looks great, it is barely visible as it integrates very well and does its job too :D
I recommend it to the point that I believe it should be standard in the car.

·
Registered
487 Posts
This option shows as standard Under the heading "Pack & Load" on the R-Design. It is described as "Aluminum Cargo Scuff Plate" on my build sheet anyway... Will be interesting to see in person.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
This option shows as standard Under the heading "Pack & Load" on the R-Design. It is described as "Aluminum Cargo Scuff Plate" on my build sheet anyway... Will be interesting to see in person.
There's a scuff plate on the interior of the cargo bay- this was on all FEs I think and maybe inscription/r design in general. Different than the exterior one. Both seem useful but only as much as the running boards seem to be.

·
Registered
427 Posts
exactly, there is a scuff plate inside but it is completely useless against the VERY exposed bumper surface. This is where the 2nd protection comes in play.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Good to know!

There's a scuff plate on the interior of the cargo bay- this was on all FEs I think and maybe inscription/r design in general. Different than the exterior one. Both seem useful but only as much as the running boards seem to be.
Ah, good to know, so the R design plate is internal... The extra protection on the exterior horizontal surface of any SUV bumper would be valuable, IMHO. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts