SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got some leads on a performance stainless exhaust system for a non-turbo 240? Noticed this morning that my IPD sport exhaust is starting to develope some holes. It's lasted me 3 years, but I want to switch to a stainless system. Cat back works, but I am approaching 300K on what I believe to be the original cat, so a full stainless system in not out of the question (price depending)

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Stainless exhaust (swimmer240)

A true stainless system from manifold to and including tip would cost as much as five ipd non-turbo 240 sport cat-back systems.<p>If you are unsure as to the health of the existing cat replacing it with an OEM-quality item and be sure the Ox sensor(s) are functioning properly and the car is in good running order overall.<p>Then slap on another ipd cat-back sport system and then another about three years down the road and then another...<p>Invest the $$$ you didn't spend on the stainless system in a sure-fire portfolio - improvements/maintenance on you fine '92 Volvo 240.<p>George Dill

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Stainless exhaust (gdill2)

Thanks George, thats the math I was looking for. I knew the stainless would be a higher cost, and I had that exact debate, cash out for the stainless or rely on IPD. <br> You got a source on a good cat? I know IPD has one. Plus, I just replaced the oxygen sensor about 2 years ago, but I am sure that thing is rust welded into the old cat, if I do replace the car would it be smarter to buy a new O2 sensor?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Stainless exhaust (swimmer240)

The existing cat may be just fine but this is not easy to confirm.<p>Dump the OBD codes and look for any problems associated with the engine's operating parameters.<p>If all is clear assume the cat and Ox sensor are OK and just slap on another ipd cat-back system..<p>George Dill

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Stainless exhaust (gdill2)

Thanks George. Ive had no engine codes pop up, though my past two emissions tests have been borderline on passing, but each time its a different measuerement that almost fails. BUt, as long as it keeps passing, I'll keep the cat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts