SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Curious if anyone has done this on 2016+ models?
I've searched the forum with not many discussions on the newer XC90 models.

20x9.0 in the front
20x10.0 in the rear

Wheels: XO Luxury Cairo - Matte Black
Tires: Nokian WR G4, 275/45R-20.

I'm considering staggered because the 20x9 are back ordered for at least 60 days and there are only 2 in stock. I can wait two months for the new shipment of wheels and go 9" all around or opt for staggered if I want to do it now.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
641 Posts
With AWD vehicles like the XC90 T6 there is a limit on the rolling diameter variance that can be safely supported.... you need to make them very close in overall outer diameter to stock.

Not sure how using the same size tires on different width rims would look though... for the 10" I think 275 width tires will look too stretched. On mine I went 20x10.5" but also upgraded the tires to 295/40/20 all around.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With AWD vehicles like the XC90 T6 there is a limit on the rolling diameter variance that can be safely supported.... you need to make them very close in overall outer diameter to stock.

Not sure how using the same size tires on different width rims would look though... for the 10" I think 275 width tires will look too stretched. On mine I went 20x10.5" but also upgraded the tires to 295/40/20 all around.

I just got off the phone with my local Volvo dealership and they have no evidence either way if the staggered setup would affect anything in the computer system. My 2017 XC90 has 21" all around and those came with the car.

I also spoke with Nokian and they said there are no issues running the same 275/45 on 9" and 10", but they may look slightly different if you view the car from the side. 275 is also the largest that these WR G4s will go.
I'll never be able to rotate these tires because they are directional.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I may be a bit thick, but why would you want to do this? Is it just for looks or performance and what type if any spare do you then carry. Do you have "air suspension" will it create uneven pressures? Will it give Volvo a reason to refuse any warranty claim? Just my thoughts (and I know, I'm just looking in here over from the XC60 forum).
Cheers

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just got off the phone with my local Volvo dealership and they have no evidence either way if the staggered setup would affect anything in the computer system. My 2017 XC90 has 21" all around and those came with the car.

I also spoke with Nokian and they said there are no issues running the same 275/45 on 9" and 10", but they may look slightly different if you view the car from the side. 275 is also the largest that these WR G4s will go.
I'll never be able to rotate these tires because they are directional.
You'd still be able to rotate front to back if they were the same size. I'd wait to get them all the same size, for that reason, and so that it doesn't look funny with the widths and the tire width.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This wasn’t my original plan, but as I mentioned in the original post, the 20x9 wheels that I wanted are delayed about 60 days or more. There are only two in the United States - I need four 🙂

The manufacturer, XO Luxury, just mentioned staggered as an option and I said I’d consider it after I asked around and also talked with Volvo.

I was doing it out of convenience rather than performance. This is the third wheel option I’ve chosen after the first option (Savini BM7) was discontinued and the second option (Savini BM14) is also in manufacturing.

My options now are:
1. Staggered 20x9 front and 20x10 back
2. Wait 60 days or longer for two more 20x9 to be manufactured
3. 20x10 all around
4. Choose another wheel

·
Registered
917 Posts
With staggered tires you will likely cut tread life in half. With a huge SUV, I don’t see the point of going that route.

·
Registered
165 Posts
20s are too small if you going after market. Go 21s or 22s with the same specs as the Inscription or R-Design and Do Not Stagger. You’re gonna look goofy out in the streets if you try that. Stay classy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
641 Posts
20x10.5” worked fine for me... using 295/40/20. Looks good to me and has enough sidewall to ride decent and protect my Vossen rims.

·
Registered
165 Posts
20x10.5” worked fine for me... using 295/40/20. Looks good to me and has enough sidewall to ride decent and protect my Vossen rims.

That does look good! However...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'm not a tire expert but knowing a little about mechanics, I'd go with the 20"x 10" on all four corners.

Many car manufacturers dissuade people from changing one tire on an awd vehicle with a new one if all of the others are not fairly new. the reason is that that one tire will be larger than the others (the other tires are smaller from wear) causing an uneven load on the drivetrain as that larger wheel would spin slower than the other wheels.

That being said, by using the same tire on different size rims, you'd essentially be doing the same thing but on two wheels as the tires sit differently on the different width rims. I can't imagine that being acceptable unless the system was designed to do that (which it wasn't as indicated by the factory sizes being uniform).

If parts of your awd system begin to fail, I'd imagine the factory would have a good case to refuse a warranty claim and an observant repair shop would probably recommend replacing the wheels with a uniform set.

The staggered setup may affect the computers negatively due to the same issue mentioned above, the computer may notice the change in rotation of the two larger wheels and drag the brakes on the smaller wheels thinking that they should be slowed down to compensate for their higher speed.

I guess you can try going with a wider size tires on the wider rims to compensate but it may not cure the problem.

That is why I'm recommending the 20"x 10" but good luck with the vehicle and please keep us posted. :beer:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Liking all the feedback, thanks.

I won’t be moving up to 21” or 22” because I’m happy with the Nokian all-weather and they stop at 20”.

These are meant to be year-round tires, so I’d like nice looks, but also need something to withstand terrible Boston area roads and lousy winter weather.

The XO Luxury wheels are 20x10.5 5x108, so I’ll try to go with these and still use the Nokian WR G4 275/45R-20.

The specs on the tires list 8.5” to 10.5” width.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Two different Volvo dealerships came back and said that they cannot "guarantee" that 10.5" all around will work on the XC90 without rubbing. The two posts above seem to offer a counter-argument to that statement.

Not sure what to do now :confused:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The Volvo dealers probably don’t have experience with aftermarket wheels and are giving you a safe answer. If others have done it and have had no troubles, I’d go with it. Usually if a rim is going to rub, you’d know it almost immediately upon installation or when trying to spin the wheel for clearance (unlike a larger tire that may be fine until the suspension flexes).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Same as Volvo’s 22” wheel

·
Registered
641 Posts
Two different Volvo dealerships came back and said that they cannot "guarantee" that 10.5" all around will work on the XC90 without rubbing. The two posts above seem to offer a counter-argument to that statement.

Not sure what to do now :confused:
My rims are a lower offset than stock at et +30. This gives the rims a more concave look while also widening the track for better handling. No clearance issues on mine and I am even lowered from stock height.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts