SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do a tranny flush as my automatic slips from 1st to 2nd and it's a common problem in the 2001 s60s. i have a 2.4t. can i flush it with something other than mobil 3309 and then fill it with the 3309? If so what? just don't want to waste all the expensive fluid

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Is it really slipping or is it "shift flare", two different things, doesn't your '01 have really low miles too? You might want to research "shift flare" to just to become familiar with that occurrence and remedy.

Either way a trans flush isn't a bad idea to start. You can use Toyota Type 4 ATF instead of Mobil, typically a few bucks cheaper than 3309. The flush procedure uses 2 qts at a time, pumping the old out and adding the new in each time, so you're not really going to be using one fluid for flush and one filling, it's the same process.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I believe that is the issue as its very common in these cars. Also my car has 183,500 miles. What capacity is the oil tank? How much am i going to have to put in at the end to refill?

·
Registered
99 Posts
i am selling a case and 3 bottles of 3309 for 45 bucks

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...iva-cbv-ipd-sway-bar-local-desplaines-pick-up

i would also change out the b4 servo and update software

DESCRIPTION:

In the AW 55-50, brake number four (B4), is only applied in 3rd gear. The B4 is applied by a piston, which is covered by an aluminum cap. This cap has a steel washer crimped to its inside surface, and a rubber cushion that sits between the cover and the washer.

If this washer breaks free from the crimps it will become concaved because of the B4 piston return spring pressure.

This loose washer can cause:

· 2-3 upshift flare / slip

· Harsh 2-3 upshifts

· 3-4 upshift flare / slip

· Harsh 4-3 downshifts

Replacing the broken B4 cover with a new one (PN 30651771) will remedy these symptoms.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replaced the B4, it ran silky smooth for the first few miles but I ended up back where I started. Now it doesn't do this as often but it still worries me. Fluid is clean and at correct level. Shifting just feels very slightly delayed and sometimes when I'm turning onto a road, it'll be like the car is in neutral then it catches. Also if I drive the car and then let it idle, or shut it off and make a quick stop somewhere when I get back in the car takes a really long time to shift into drive, usually about 3 or 4 seconds but sometimes longer

·
Registered
501 Posts
Did you also do the flush or a software update? Also if you're looking for cheaper alternative to 3309 check out the Motorcraft version I was able to get it from Tasca for less than 6 dollars a quart which is less than what the local Toyota dealer wanted for type 4

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I flushed it twice and used sea foam transmission flush fluid from iPd to help clean it the second time. I haven't done the software update yet, I believe it was done before I had the car. Is there any way to check and do you know what the update will cost?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts