SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I was connected to my car using VIDA/DiCE today, clearing some niggling codes, performing some calibrations, etc. One calibration I found was to calibrate the occupant weight sensor. I had noticed that when someone got out of the passenger seat while the car was on, it would warn that the passenger wasn't wearing their seatbelt even though they were of course not in the seat anymore. So, I thought it would be great to try to calibrate that sensor in case that was an issue.

Big mistake! After calibration, it threw two codes (SRS-1012 and SRS-1013) which are related to the occupant weight sensor (screenshot attached). Nothing changed in the vehicle, but maybe it wasn't working properly and trying to calibrate it allowed the car to realize it wasn't functioning properly. That being said, the calibration appeared to run successfully. I re-ran the calibration quite a few times to try to get rid of the codes, cleared the codes, took key out and locked doors, then tried clearing them again. It just kept coming back.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Is it a faulty part? Bad electrical connection (the connector to the seat)? Should I reset the car by disconnecting the battery?

Thanks for any tips/thoughts you may have! Cheers!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'd try to disconnect the battery and allow the computer to reset. I remember seeing this calibration a while back but never actually did it.

Did you calibrate it properly? Not sure how the process works but didn't know if there were certain steps needed the be taken.

I'd also check the connection of the senso, however I feel like it would've thrown the code earlier if it was actually an issue.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I believe that you are supposed to calibrate the seat sensor with 80lbs weight in the seat. True?

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
...I had noticed that when someone got out of the passenger seat while the car was on, it would warn that the passenger wasn't wearing their seatbelt even though they were of course not in the seat anymore.
This isn't a calibration issue. The OWS is a bag of silicone goo, and it's relatively thick stuff, especially in cold weather. It takes some time for it to move after a passenger departs.

If you calibrated it cold, or didn't follow the procedure exactly, I'd repeat that process. Worst-case, it is in fact possible to replace the OWS.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, guys. I disconnected the battery overnight, so hopefully that will just fix the issue. I forgot to attach the code details - I'll do that now.

I did follow the instructions to a tee (attached) - they're pretty simple. Make sure the passenger seat is empty, switch on the ignition, wait 10 seconds, then run the calibration.

It was on the colder side of things when I ran the calibration - about -2*C (28*F), so maybe that was the issue? That being said, nobody had been in the passenger seat for quite a few days, if not a week.

Updated to larger images so they're readable.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright - I think I've taken care of it.

Battery disconnect did not do the trick, and it was not an issue of not performing the calibration correctly.

I disconnected the seat harness connection (near the front of the seat - a 7mm sprung bolt to disconnect), and cleaned the contacts on both sides with contact cleaner, and applied dialectric grease to each connection.

When I purchased the car it was swamped from a sunroof drain clog on the passenger side, so things are a bit corroded in that area. I should have thought of that!

Performed the calibration again, cleared the codes, and they didn't show up again. Hopefully it stays away.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts