SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 1999 V70XC got detailed rather throroughly last week, one of those jobs where they take out the seats and vacuum up all the crap that accumulates. When we got the car back, the SRS light was on. I assume this was as a result of taking the front seats out and putting them back in. <p>I called my local dealer to get the light switched off, and they quoted me "$60-100" to turn off the light, "because we may need to purchase a dowload." I asked why a download would need to be purchased, isn't it simply an operation where they switch off the light through the OBDII port? He told me they might need to update the software. <p>I'm awfully suspicious of this price quote. I have a Subaru whose ECU I reflashed through the OBDII port myself, it's a simple operation a monkey could do. Turning off an SRS light couldn't involve more than "throwing a switch" through the OBDII right? Am I wrong to be suspicious?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: SRS light ripoff?!? Annoyed... (daverino)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>daverino</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My wife's 1999 V70XC got detailed rather throroughly last week, one of those jobs where they take out the seats and vacuum up all the crap that accumulates. When we got the car back, the SRS light was on. I assume this was as a result of taking the front seats out and putting them back in. <p>I called my local dealer to get the light switched off, and they quoted me "$60-100" to turn off the light, "because we may need to purchase a dowload." I asked why a download would need to be purchased, isn't it simply an operation where they switch off the light through the OBDII port? He told me they might need to update the software. <p>I'm awfully suspicious of this price quote. I have a Subaru whose ECU I reflashed through the OBDII port myself, it's a simple operation a monkey could do. Turning off an SRS light couldn't involve more than "throwing a switch" through the OBDII right? Am I wrong to be suspicious?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Welcome to the wonderful world of Volvo stealerships! With any degree of luck, I'll never have to have my car serviced by one again. Thank God I have a very good friend who owns an indy shop. He's got over 20 years experience working on pretty much everything. A couple of months ago, they had a Testarossa in for a clutch job. Required pulling the entire engine and associated subframe. It's amazing all the stuff they cram into that engine bay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts