SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

Ok, this one is crazy: was driving today and my dome light suddenly came on. Then I noticed a bunch of lights in the dash with the Traction Control Problem message in the display. Then immediately followed by the SRS AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT. Then my gas gauge drops to 0. Then my wipers are stuck on. Then my signal lights stop working. Then my key fob doesn't let me lock or unlock the car. Then my climate control temperature isn't working properly. Then my hatch doesn't open. :mad:

As much as I love this car, it's getting the best of me time wise for repairs and $$$ as well. Blah...

I am searching around on the forums, but would appreciate some help if anyone has seen this before.

Thanks!!
-Mitch
2005 V50 T5 AWD

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Any chance you are on the original battery and it is dying?

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Yeah, I'd disconnect the battery, clean the terminals and connections really well, toss some dielectric grease on them and crank them down. You'd be surprised how sensitive our cars are to loose battery connections.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point, worth a try, I will do that right now.

I had a rather large passenger with me yesterday and he cranked the seat all the way back. I've read that perhaps if that connection is interuppted a bit, it might throw the AIRBAG light as the circuit was interuppted. But it's the other electrical stuff that doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just cleaned both terminals and connections and cranked everything down. I also turned all the electrics on and measured 12.54V going to the battery.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Sounds like ghosts.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Soo I had the some of the same symptoms, took it to the stealership who said it was power cables which went bad and then my CEM went bad. Bill was around 1800.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Soo I had the some of the same symptoms, took it to the stealership hrowho said it was power cables which went bad and then my CEM went bad. Bill was around 1800.
Thanks for the info chromecarz00. Wow, $1800???? So did the power cables actually have anything to do with it? Was the CEM related to that as well? Is that something you think I could change myself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Thanks for the info chromecarz00. Wow, $1800???? So did the power cables actually have anything to do with it? Was the CEM related to that as well? Is that something you think I could change myself?

Thanks!
Power cables I don't actually know; they wouldn't do anything further on the car until I did those. Tried to take it to an independent, who then tried to charge me $2500 for a new ECU lol. The CEM needs programming so no, the power cables you may be able to do yourself.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Power cables I don't actually know; they wouldn't do anything further on the car until I did those. Tried to take it to an independent, who then tried to charge me $2500 for a new ECU lol. The CEM needs programming so no, the power cables you may be able to do yourself.
Wow...not good eh??? Well...I'm gonna try maybe a few checks on the weekend and then head to an indy on Monday that has scanning capabilities. Power cables supplying the CEM?

·
Registered
837 Posts
do you have an aftermarket intake? have you done a SW updates? Do you live in salty rust prone area?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do you have an aftermarket intake? have you done a SW updates? Do you live in salty rust prone area?
Thanks for the note. Nope, factory intake. Software update were done about 1.5 years ago, but I haven't gone to the dealer since. Yes, I guess we do live in salty prove areas, but my engine bay is typically cleaned every month or so.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! Some great information there. My battery has about 20k on it and my alternator has about 60k on it. So not saying it wouldn't be charging system, but never know.

Although, when I replaced my alternator about 60k ago (I purchased the part from the dealer), after my install and ever since, my battery light has been on and I get the message CHARGING SYSTEM URGENT, or something like that. I had it in to the dealer, they checked over all charging system and couldn't find anything abnormal at all. They said they would call Volvo Canada as they had never seen anything like that. Volvo Canada couldn't figure it out so they called Sweden, but the dealer never got back to me. I've since been at an Indy shop and they noticed the light, so they checked the charging system and confirmed everything was ok. So I've been driving with that light on for 60k and never had any issues. I'm not sure if this would be related or not.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got a tip from another Forum where someone had experienced the same symptoms and what it turned out to be their case was the soldered connections in the DIM Display Information Module were loose. He had the chips resoldered on the board, put it back together and everything was fixed.

I'm gonna try that. I figure maybe $50 to resolder those chips at a local electronics shop, so worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Just cleaned both terminals and connections and cranked everything down. I also turned all the electrics on and measured 12.54V going to the battery.
Should be more than 12.54V. I get on mine around 14V from the alternator. I wouldn't be surprised if your's was on it's way out. The P1s suffer from dieing alternators (the same as the Euro Focus MK II does).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Should be more than 12.54V. I get on mine around 14V from the alternator. I wouldn't be surprised if your's was on it's way out. The P1s suffer from dieing alternators (the same as the Euro Focus MK II does).
Ah...I checked again. I'm getting 13.84V

Is that still low?

I took the DIM out tonight and removed the circuit board from it. I don't notice anything weird, but I will bring it to an electronics shop in the morning and ask them to resolder the chips. That shouldn't be that expensive I hope. Worth a try!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts