SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
05 V-50 2.4 automatic {wifes car} Every time I start in the morning I hear a squeal like a loose belt for about 5 seconds then it stops.Not sure exactly where is coming from.It only happens on a cold start. Could it be alternator on the way out?? Idler pulley perhaps??

Any input much appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm going to attempt to make the sound by typing... does it sound like "ski ki, ski ki, ski ki..."? Like a belt that is squeaking as a certain part of it travels over the pulley. I had this too, and I changed the belts, but the sound remained, I kinda just chalked it up to a little water on the pulley.

·
Registered
837 Posts
get that replaces NOW!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
thanks for the input guys!! Do you mean the one for the timing belt??
NO, were talking about accessory belts. And, I suppose soon enough, as I have heard stories about accessory belts taking out timing belts.

Jack up the car, take off the passenger wheel and wheel liner. Turn on the engine and try to figure out which one it is. Or replace both. I have used a wooden dowel as a stethoscope on other cars, it might be difficult on this one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried it today. It actually sounds like is coming from the top of the engine near the MAF. Any ideas what could it be around that area??

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Tried it today. It actually sounds like is coming from the top of the engine near the MAF. Any ideas what could it be around that area??
Human hearing direction perception is notoriously unreliable. Fix your idler pulley.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts