SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Squealing steering wheel

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Stefan1235 
#1 ·
I just got my car back from the shop and now the steering wheel squeaks at low speed when turning, doesn't sound like its coming from the rack, just the wheel.

I plan on taking it back after thanksgiving but I was wondering if anyone knew what this could be...

Could I remove the wheel to take a look or is this too hard?

#2 ·
Did you just have your slave cylinder done? Check down where the steering shaft goes through the firewall. I think there is a grommet that may be not in completely. Mine did the same exact thing because it had to be removed for that process.

#3 ·
Lower grommet
Bottom of column at the floorboard
Lift the edge and grease it thoroughly
If that doesn't work, you may need a new one
How many miles on your car, they can just go bad over 100-120K

#10 ·
Spray some power lube or wd40 between the rubber boot and that sleeve. Then after you do that take the sleeve and slide it back into the boot so that it seals nice and snug. Without putting that sleeve back into the boot you will hear a lot of engine noise. I did this yesterday and it worked perfectly.

#9 ·
So after staring at my sisters 08 S60 and my dad's 13 XC-90 where the steering meets the firewall I determined that the metal sleeve that in the pictures is resting a few mm above the rubber boot should actually be slid inside the rubber boot...greased it up and slid it in the rubber :D

so far so good, no noise when turning the wheel...if there's anyplace specific inside the rubber grommet that I should place the metal sleeve (it has teeth on the inside so I don't know if it is supposed to mesh with something down lower?) let me know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.