SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer I had my shop do a front pads and rotors on my V70R. The result has been very loud. Pretty well if I have any pressure less than full these things let out horrific squeals.

I took it back to the shop and they chamfered the edges and applied more caliper lube, but to no avail. I did learn that they tried to save me some money and used aftermarket pads (I don't know which ones.)

So I think my last attempt will be to get the spec Brembo pads and try this one more time. On other threads here you guys have stressed the importance of cleaning and caliper grease. My questions are what exactly needs to be clean and what should I clean it with? And what kind of caliper grease to use and where exactly to put it?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Eric

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I would clean the caliper area where the brake pads sit, and also the piston surfaces. I would also clean the caliper spring and the two pins which hold the brake pads down. Apply the caliper grease to the back of the pads, to the caliper spring that contacts the pads and the two pins as well. If you use genuine Volvo brake pads, I would make sure you install the inner and outer pads correctly (they should be marked)

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
This summer I had my shop do a front pads and rotors on my V70R. The result has been very loud. Pretty well if I have any pressure less than full these things let out horrific squeals.

I took it back to the shop and they chamfered the edges and applied more caliper lube, but to no avail. I did learn that they tried to save me some money and used aftermarket pads (I don't know which ones.)

So I think my last attempt will be to get the spec Brembo pads and try this one more time. On other threads here you guys have stressed the importance of cleaning and caliper grease. My questions are what exactly needs to be clean and what should I clean it with? And what kind of caliper grease to use and where exactly to put it?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Eric
Have them check (or check yourself) the spring clip that goes between the pins, if it's installed crooked or non-centered you can get squeal.
Just have to take the wheel off and you'll see it, very easy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I will check that clip this weekend. My follow up question is what would you use to clean everything? A rag and some sort of solvent? Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
172 Posts
I went back to OEM pads and the squel is gone. After 2000 miles I have been getting a one and done squel when they are cold. It short interval as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts