SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when started cold, car squeals, sounds like a belt, mechanic thinks it might be a bearing on a accessory connected to belt since belt is new. only makes sound when started cold in morning, its NOT the air pump i have tested air pump is off and noise still occurs, stays for first like 2 min. Question is do bearings fail often on accessories? What happens when they fail, is it clear when its gonna fail? by cold i mean in the morning engine being cold, also it only happens when its below 40 degress outside, when up to temp, and revving the car if i listen near the power sterring pump i do hear something rattling. squeal was there before and after belt was done at the dealer.<p>ALSO when i depress the clutch between gears, the rpms dont seem to drop really fast, when car is cold, they drop really nice but when car is warn they take about 2 seconds to drop. replcaed IAC (idle air control) checked hoses, lubed throttle cable. Im at a loss as what to look at on this one. ideas anyone? car was tuned up about 5k ago all volvo parts at volvo dealer. Its not critical just annoying.<p>car is 96 850, N/A 130,000 miles (mostly highway)<p><br>[Modified by kenkass, 4:41 AM 11-16-2002]<BR><BR>
[Modified by kenkass, 4:42 AM 11-16-2002]

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Re: squeal at start and idle not dropping between shifts (kenkass)

I'd maybe try some lithium greese on those belts if that is recommended by Volvo, should take car of the squeal. They could also be worn out in which case you should replace them, even with a recent service belts can be overlooked. How cold is the ambient temperature? In the winter here most cars will be slow to drop RPM if below freezing, fairly normal I'd say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: squeal at start and idle not dropping between shifts (Spearzy)

belt is new done at volvo dealer, idles actually drop BETTER in the cold, this is how i would like it when the engine is warm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts