SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[Solved] Squeaky steering column/rack, complete panic, WD-40 doesn't help

SOLUTION: Had a completely worn out left front upper strut mount & bearing (replaced, main suspects) and also replaced tie rod ends (probably hadn't much to do, but just in case). Squeak is completely gone and the steering wheel turns easier now.

----

New month new source of squeaks in my S40.
This time it's the steering column/rack.

Tried spraying some WD-40 - Didn't help, then Silicone Spray - Didn't help, finally Lithium Grease - Didn't help either.
This evening removed the steering column bolt to clean all that lube cocktail and hopefully remove the plastic boot (or whatever is that black piece of plastic that goes into the floor) and clean it as well, that piece of satan plastic doesn't come off.

Additional info:
• Steering column is a bit rusty
• Squeak/sealing comes certainly from the bottom of the column/ top of steering rack
• My finger hurts from cleaning all that mess

I know it sounds like a "general cars" problem, but maybe someone knows any tricks related to the S40 squeaks, since traditional methods doesn't seem to work?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Hard to get that lube inside the joints without taking the whole thing out - would make sense that's your squeak....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hard to get that lube inside the joints without taking the whole thing out - would make sense that's your squeak....
https://imgur.com/a/zrs7xP5

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's not much I'll get access to if I remove the entire rack.
The red arrow points to what looks like the part of the rack inside the cabin, but here it's either without the plastic black thing or it's just lower (see the mark where it looks like the oil dirt mark ends, there stands the black plastic thing in my car). The blue line surrounds the part I'm getting access to, but it looks like there's nothing else that can be disassembled to reveal more joints/bearings that may need cleaning.

The only "entry" for the lubrication/cleaning looks to be this only piece (red arrow) that connects to the steering column.
What am I missing ?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
New month new source of squeaks in my S40.
This time it's the steering column.
Your first post is talking about the steering column - my response is also about the steering column. Your second post is talking about the steering rack.

The steering rack has little to do more than likely with your sqeak from inside the cabin - the steering column features a shaft that the steering wheel is mounted on going through an aluminum housing terminating in a u joint. The shaft at the end of that telescopes up and attaches via another ujoint (iirc) to the steering rack penetration through the floor. Your squeaks are probably from those ujoints.

So are we talking about your steering rack or your steering column? Please advise then I can help from there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bad, I was including the "short vertical part" of the steering rack in the steering column. Now I'll try to use the correct terms.

Back form another round of tests, removed the steering column from the rack, turned the U joint in all the possible directions, rubbed it against rubber/carpet/metal - not a single squeak. So it's not the steering column/u-joint (this time I'm calling it correctly) - 100%.

The sound certainly comes from the steering rack or something underneath. One more thing I noticed today in the evening in complete silence (only the car running) is that there was a squeaky/squeling sound (no pops, clicks or anything else) coming from the left wheel region, heard from outside the car when turning the steering wheel to the left only (turning right didn't result in any sounds outside the car), though alongside this squeak from outside, there was a squeak (but very different sound/tone of the squeak) inside the car coming from that hole where the steering rack peaks inside the cabin (firewall I believe?).
There was certainly a squeaky sound inside the cabin while turning the steering wheel both left & right before, but I think the problem now is somewhere "under the front of the car" and the sound passes through the rack inside the cabin, I just couldn't hear it all previously.

Also a couple days ago while the car had all the 4 wheels off ground, turning the steering wheel didn't result in any loud squeaks.

Hopefully that gives a more clear description.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts