SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The leather piece on the top end of my shifter (the one you hold as you shift gears) squeaks when I push it or pull it. In fact, if I grab it and sort of rock it or try to twist/turn it, it squeaks even more. This gets really annoying when I drive, especially when my radio is off. (Thank God the dealer took care of the axle spline noise! It used to be much worse: a combination of both.)

Anybody else with this problem? Can this piece be easily removed? Maybe I can add something like teflon and screw it again for a tighter, quieter fit.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Re: Squeaky shifter top leather piece - Anybody? (Razor1973)

No squeeks here but you can investigae root cause by removing the knob by pressing down firmly & turning 1/4 counter-clockwise.
Good luck http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
470 Posts

I have a similar noise, but mine sounds like it is coming from the spaceball itself, when moving in a fore/aft motion. It sounds like a finger streaking across a clean window. Unfortunately, it is intermittent, (perhaps weather/temperature dependent?) so that when I have time to actually try to fix it, it doesn't make the noise.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Squeaky shifter top leather piece - Anybody? (pino)

Quote, originally posted by pino »
I have a similar noise, but mine sounds like it is coming from the spaceball itself, when moving in a fore/aft motion. It sounds like a finger streaking across a clean window. Unfortunately, it is intermittent, (perhaps weather/temperature dependent?) so that when I have time to actually try to fix it, it doesn't make the noise.

I have had this issue twice with the spaceball. Each time, the dealer added more felt between the spaceball cover and console to eliminate the rubbing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Re: Squeaky shifter top leather piece - Anybody? (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

I have had this issue twice with the spaceball. Each time, the dealer added more felt between the spaceball cover and console to eliminate the rubbing.

Thanks! I'll check it out.
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Squeaky shifter top leather piece - Anybody? (bschurr)

Quote, originally posted by bschurr »
No squeeks here but you can investigae root cause by removing the knob by pressing down firmly & turning 1/4 counter-clockwise.
Good luck http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Thanks! I will try that during my lunch time today. Do you think a little teflon would help?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Razor1973 »

Thanks! I will try that during my lunch time today. Do you think a little teflon would help?

I dunno - it is hard to advise on a fix without knowing exactly what the problem is...

Once you remove the knob, look for any wear or source of the squeak. If the squeak is caused by the connection point within the pin/twist lock mechanism perhaps a little white lithium grease would eliminate the noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.