SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 V70R. I just put brand new rotors and pads on the front.
They are squeaking like crazy. They only squeak a very low speeds like coming to a stop BUT it's VERY loud and annoying. The volvo shop I use cannot seem to fix the problem. They applied lubricant- sanded down the pads some, etc. This did not work.

Looking back on old posts from 2007- I see there may be a "fix" from Volvo about this and there is a TNN. (What does TNN stand for by the way?)
Apparently an actual Volvo part # to fix the problem as well- but unsure if it works for the 2005 model year.

The links that are referenced on these old posts no longer work.

Can someone help?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Same here.

Brakes even squeeked after a fresh set of front pads (and have continued since).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Same here, it's embarrassing when I pull up to the drive-thur

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have this. 2004 SR, about 10k on unknown new rotors and pads. The dealer said they could still get the dampering kit, but that the recall on it wasn't for my vin. I'm still debating getting it to see if it helps... I've tried the same thing the OP has, lube, sanding them lightly ect. The lube will help for about 2-3 days then it comes back. It's beyond embarassing imo! I've almost pulled the trigger on replacing the pads twice but can't find anything solid like "these pads I got have fixed my break squeal". I've read quite a few things saying that you have to apply the lube in a certain spot for it to work, I don't know. I've had it to my indy several times and he's the one who has looked at/lubed/sanded them. I've also been over to some AMG/STI forums where guys have the same problem with the brembo's to greater or lesser extents.

Honestly I would be OK with a little bit of squeal if it meant having better breaking power, but the amount of squeal I get at ALL times makes driving the car so unpleasant.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just had the same problem; after 2 sets of rotors/pads in 3 months, my mechanic used the "copper gel" that Volvo just added to fix the squeaky brakes. So far so good.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I just had the same problem; after 2 sets of rotors/pads in 3 months, my mechanic used the "copper gel" that Volvo just added to fix the squeaky brakes. So far so good.
My service adviser gave me the same advice when I had my R. I tried everything on mine and re-greased a dozen times, with no luck. It sounded like a trash truck and was super embarrassing, like having a Sonic Blue R doesn't call enough attention to you, the squeal made sure all eyes were on you when coming to a stop. It sucked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

-----

Ok- thanks for the info. Do ya have any part # for the copper gel? and /or where does Volvo list this fix?
(So I can show my indy Volvo shop)

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is EXACTLY the same problem I've been dealing with for the lats 8 months on my 2004 R. Dealer has had it 3 times and hasn't been able to fix it yet - only happens on the driver side front but I echo everything that is said above...its BEYOND embarassing and insanely loud. I've been scanning as many posts as I can trying to find a true fix rather than just suggestions and its hard to tell if there is one sure fire fix to tell the dealer about....although it sounds like maybe this copper gel might do it? Any other good results?
I'm at the end of my rope and if this goes on much longer I'm either going to end up shelling out a ton of money which I don't have or want to do, or selling the car its THAT bad. Thanks!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sometimes the oe brembo shims are not re installed by tech since they see so few r's. They are clueless about brembos... the copper grease or anti squeal wont help. Youll need the oe brembo shims from brembo or maybe volvo has

1 - 13 of 13 Posts