SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is an 04 and it is just at about 23k miles and the brakes have squeaked like CRAZY since day 1. I have asked the dealer to check into it every single time my car has been in, but never to any avail. Have you all experienced similar things and is there anything I could maybe do?

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: squeaky brakes (fasts60r)

Welcome to the board. It's good to see another local in the neighborhood.

You may want to search on squeak or squeal since this has been discussed numerous times. There is a tech bulletin that addresses the issue as follows:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Vol...51-09/

And I agree with Mike.....your dealer is an idiot.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: squeaky brakes (MagoonR)

Hey thanks..this is really helpful. I recently (as in picked it up monday) had my car at lehman. Actually it was there for a number of issues from the 21st of April till the 2nd of May and then again from the 11th of may till the 22nd. Needless to say, I missed my car. Among the things I brought to their attention were the squeaky brakes and not for the first time mind you. I can't wait to talk to them about this in about a month or so when my car gets inspected.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Good luck! I have been to 3 dealers in the state of CT and all tell me that it is normal. My sqealing is so bad that when the windows are down my wife has to hold her ears when I stop the car. I need to find a good dealer..but I am running out of them in my state.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Re: squeaky brakes (Lost240)

That's really odd. I had my car in to get the folding mirror software done and I mentioned the squealing problem, that there was a fix for it, and that my car really wasn't doing it that badly at the moment.

After they finished the software, they said they had the dampers and pads in stock and if I wanted to wait another 30 minutes they could stick them on

I have NO idea why they wouldn't want to do it. It's an easy billable hours.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Re: squeaky brakes (partridge)

Quote, originally posted by partridge »
After they finished the software, they said they had the dampers and pads in stock and if I wanted to wait another 30 minutes they could stick them on

Same for me - my dealer added the shims and gave me free replacement pads to boot, at 12K. Depending on your miles the dealer should take care of you, pads and all.

- Tryg

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I am plain mad as hell. I went in there expecting them to say this was done since I informed them there was a bulletin issued. They said they were unaware of such a bulletin and checked them and everything seems ok. Well of course it looks ok! I stop don't I? THEN this one service consultant whom I don't like had the audacity to tell me they were replaced. I was like how the hell would you know? It isn't your car. Well he isnsisted that they were. I said fine show me. Well low and behold, after a quick search of my records they were not replaced. I have called and filed a formal complaint with Volvo and now that I have this all printed off and plan to fax them on Monday. What kills me is I'm 22 and that guy (the one who insited it was done) never probably thought they were done. He wanted to annoying kid to shut up and go away. They probably all feel that way about me. That's really ashame because at 22 I have more car buying to do than most people yet in life. They should think about that maybe...because like an elephant, I never forget. Thanks for your help on this guys...with out Magoon's link I got nothin'.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (fasts60r)

Quote, originally posted by fasts60r »
Thanks for your help on this guys...with out Magoon's link I got nothin'.

Sorry to hear about this struggle. My advice, try another dealer.

When I was not getting satisfactory resolve with S40 issues, I took it to Lehman in York....then called back the local dealer and told him that the issue was fixed and here's what was done. Of course, they have experienced a few since so I became the troubleshooter.

·
Registered
326 Posts

My dealer called it a known problem... as in I was cut off mid sentence because they knew what the fix was before I finished saying "well, my brakes are squ--" free new rear pads at 10k. They are being jerks.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: squeaky brakes (JOSBRO)

Quote, originally posted by JOSBRO »
My dealer called it a known problem... as in I was cut off mid sentence because they knew what the fix was before I finished saying "well, my brakes are squ--" free new rear pads at 10k. They are being jerks.

I assume that the front dampers were also thrown in as well?

·
Registered
92 Posts

When are vendors going to realize that poor service is not going to foster repeat customers. I don't utilize free oil changes or car washes because experience has taught me that many servicers screw-up as much as they fix.

We get these BS replies from service advisers because experience has taught them that they can get away with it. We should have no problem saying "that is not acceptable and I want to take it to the next level."
Owners manuals usually contain problem escalation procedures as well as state lemon laws. We should follow them.

Dealers get paid for warranty work although it is often at a lower rate than customer pay. The shops I have viewed don't appear to be jammed with cars. Is it possible that auto manufactures are giving dealers incentives to not perform warranty work or are we dealing with Business 101 dropouts? Could it be as simple as service advisors not getting paid on warranty work?

·
Registered
117 Posts
My dealer told me that my 04' had all the latest software updates. When I hooked it to the computer at the Texas GTG it showed none had been done. The tech said it would take hours to reconcile.....
My brakes squeeked for the first 50K until my pad's were replaced. No squeek now...At first the lack of noise made me think I wasn't stopping...

·
Registered
44 Posts

Mine did the same thing and I took it in and they replaced the brake pads, then put this shim or something like that on them and it has been silent for over 10K miles now.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (big2mo)

Quote, originally posted by big2mo »
My dealer told me that my 04' had all the latest software updates. When I hooked it to the computer at the Texas GTG it showed none had been done. The tech said it would take hours to reconcile.....
My brakes squeeked for the first 50K until my pad's were replaced. No squeek now...At first the lack of noise made me think I wasn't stopping...

There is NO software for brakes.
It's ALL HARDWARE and careful installation
(You were stopping, however you were just letting everyone around you knowing you were
)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I called the dealer and I never like to complain, but I pretty much had to. It should never come to this. Low and behold they said they found a TSB about the brakes after I left. That actually angered me even more. They had the resources to look into this issue further (not just this time but the countless other times I have asked them about this) but were too lazy to get off their asses and do it. That is absolutely unnacceptable. That is exactly what I told the service consultant, what I will tell the service manager Friday when he gets back from vacation, what I told Volvo when I filed my complaint, and what I will tell the dealer's general manager when I speak with him regarding the issue. Yup, I'm really that annoyed. We deserve better as consumers and our cars deserve better as the impressive machines they are. Again thanks for all the help guys. It absolutely sucks that I had to physically print out the TSB and fax it to them but it really felt good doing it (thanks Magoon). Damn it feels good to be right.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

There is a fix for it, but at this many miles I would look into the possibility of worn front pads. If the pad material is less than 5mm that could be a likely cause of the problem if the other fixes (i.e. dampers) have already been put in.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (fasts60r)

We deserve better as consumers and our cars deserve better as the impressive machines they are.

So true. Unfortunately, most service areas are not up to the task or willing to make the effort for such a small clientele.

Again thanks for all the help guys. It absolutely sucks that I had to physically print out the TSB and fax it to them but it really felt good doing it (thanks Magoon). Damn it feels good to be right.

I have been through most of the 04 growing pains from brakes to axle splines to shifter squeaks and sticking shifter. I believe that the car is finally cured of its woes and am looking forward to the next dealer service visit....in November (a scheduled service with no additional issues). If you need any additional help curing the R, you know where to find me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts