SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had my S40 since Decemeber last year. Started to notice a squeaking sound coming from the back seats, when I go over bumpy roads. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from so I had someone sit in the back seat. The noise stopped. Lasted that way for a couple days, now it is back. Must be something to do with the fold down seats. Anyone else experience something like this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a similar noise, and took it to the dealer three times. They tried everything, but were never able to fix it. Then one day I was playing with the trunk lid and noticed that the sound was coming from the big rubber stops on either side of the trunklid. All you need to do is unscrew them a little so that the rubber stops make more contact with the metal. The noise you hear may be the rubber stops rubbing on the metal, as it was in my case. I need to adjust them periodically, but it did fix the problem. Try it and let me know how you made out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. I will try it out. Just curious as to why the noise stops if someone is sitting in the back seat, if the noise is really coming from the trunk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same problem in my 2001 V40, when the back seat was empty it rattled like hell and when someone sat there it was quiet. My wife (got to love her) forced the dealer to hang on to it and figure it out during our last service. Took them a few days, but they found a zipper on the seat coverings (we have the leather ones, but probably the same if you have cloth) that was banging against a metal frame piece. Very annoying, but some padded material at the point of contact made it go away, and it has been solved for about 3 months now. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the leather ones also. Was it a banging noise or a squeaking noise? Mine has a high pitch squeak that gets louder on bumpy roads. <P>I'll have to check the trunk for the earlier suggestion, then the seats for the zipper. Hopefully, it's one of these.<P>Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts