SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm trying to buy a SPEC 3+ clutch to use with OEM flywheel. The vendor is saying that I should use a sprung disc
He's saying that ...
Un sprung will be over kill for
daily driving since it is made for higher horse power / track built
vehicles.

Both the OEM and the SPEC2+ that I'm replacing are unsprung.My concern is with the feel of the engagement becoming.
Comments? Has anyone run this way? For whoever runs a SPEC 3+ do you use OEM flywheel and is your dksc sprung?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had an unsprung clutch disc in my blown Miata back in the day, and I'll stick with sprung from here on out for any street application.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I have heard of longevity issues from SPEC clutches on the R... Something to think about given the labor cost to swap a clutch/flywheel.

·
Registered
218 Posts
But was your Miata running dual mass flywheel?
It wasn't. I misunderstood that OP was swapping to a SMF. That's what I get for skimming, heh.

When I do a clutch in my R, I'll be going with a SMF and sprung disc. A friend who used to be a SPEC dealer cautioned me about their pressure plate warranties, so I'll probably stick with an OE equivalent.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have heard of longevity issues from SPEC clutches on the R... Something to think about given the labor cost to swap a clutch/flywheel.
Yes, I'm one of the people complaining about SPEC longevity. I would definitely NOT recommend to anyone a SPEC 2+ clutch as it was short lived. I liked how it worked but not its life of 65k miles of street driving. And that for $800 (not counting the labor to replace) it's way TOO expensive. For me the labor to install it was covered under warranty (transmission) but I'm paying for the replacement now.

I have to chose between going back to OEM that I did not liked how it engages and finding something else. The other options I know are a different SPEC, Sachs (similar to OEM if not OEM), AP Racing (UK), and the old 850R conversion. The last two are to be used with single mass flywheel, that I contemplated getting but I decided not to after wife complained that the R is already "rough" enough. It still has to serve as family car and happy wife happy life.

There might be other options but I could not get much feedback about them and no willing to just experiment.

In short our options are not many.

So I'm going with a different SPEC clutch (3+) that some here say it's way better than the 2+. It is even more expensive than 2+ but this will be my last attempt to find a clutch that I like before declaring defeat and going back to OEM.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A friend who used to be a SPEC dealer cautioned me about their pressure plate warranties, so I'll probably stick with an OE equivalent.
clutch warranty practically does not exist. It is considered a wear item like the brakes, and they can always say I abused/raced/<insert your reason here> to deny it. On paper it's 90 days.
At least with the brakes you can easily take them apart and point out problems/switch to something else.
Me after 65k miles and a few years on it I could not even get a 10% discount on a $1000 new clutch.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I stuck with the stock pressure plate and disk since I like that part of the stock dealio, but got the single mass since I don't like heavy, rubber filled flywheels. My R doesn't run any rougher than it did with the stock flywheel.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I stuck with the stock pressure plate and disk since I like that part of the stock dealio, but got the single mass since I don't like heavy, rubber filled flywheels. My R doesn't run any rougher than it did with the stock flywheel.
Glad to hear you had better luck. Most reply that I've got were that the SMF chatters to the point of people asking what's under the bonnet. That is just not acceptable in my case.

·
Registered
547 Posts
DMF doesn't need a sprung clutch. If you get an unsprung with a SMF, you're going stopping and going. Was just driving a truck this weekend with a 12 lb aluminum flywheel and a 6 puck unsprung clutch. Was stupidly hard to start from a stop, but on the upside, it was really hard to stall it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts