SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I sadly discovered a leakage most likely coming from a failed release bearing. So when I need to tear down the gearbox anyway, why not get rid of the DM flywheel and uppgrade to a more hd clutch. Due to very high import taxes (25%) a Spec setup is to costy for me (around 2000$) So I was thinking of using a 850 flywheel together with a BMW M5 (Sachs***765) pressureplate. So in that matter I'm looking for a sprung organic disc. Does anyone know where I can find this?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually I think I found a sprung disc with PN:30783021 coming from the 30783258 clutch kit. I just need to have that confirmed.....

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Why not use the OEM disc? ( A Sachs as I recall)They are a sprung hub, at least that is the case on my 2005 V70R.
My experience is that they are good for over 100K miles, and what typically takes them out is not wear, but the same thing you now have, a leaky slave that contaminates the disc.

Many on the board have changed to a single mass flywheel. That is not my choice for my application of the car, but many have been happy with it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I just had the slave cylinder fail in my '05 V70R. Less than 44,000 miles too. I'm told the slave cylinder has been redesigned to have better longetivity. I sure hope so.

Otherwise, I really like the car, which I bought new.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not use the OEM disc? ( A Sachs as I recall)They are a sprung hub, at least that is the case on my 2005 V70R.
My experience is that they are good for over 100K miles, and what typically takes them out is not wear, but the same thing you now have, a leaky slave that contaminates the disc.

Many on the board have changed to a single mass flywheel. That is not my choice for my application of the car, but many have been happy with it.
I just found out that the new version of the clutch do have sprung hub.
PN:30783021
So what I need to know is wich flywheel to go with.... I know it's from a 850 Turbo, but I think there is more than one type out there.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I can't help too much with the flywheel, other than to say I have the SPEC single mass flywheel from Viva and I love it. I paired it with the OEM sprung clutch. It's got great feel, perhaps a little more holding power than before with the dual mass. I think it's a very worthy upgrade as my revs build and fall much quicker. The only downfall is a little bit of idle chatter noise.

Is there anyway around the import tax if a friend were to send you the SMF, instead of you purchasing it directly?

Also don't forget to take the opportunity to replace your rear main seal while your doing all the other work.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't help too much with the flywheel, other than to say I have the SPEC single mass flywheel from Viva and I love it. I paired it with the OEM sprung clutch. It's got great feel, perhaps a little more holding power than before with the dual mass. I think it's a very worthy upgrade as my revs build and fall much quicker. The only downfall is a little bit of idle chatter noise.

Is there anyway around the import tax if a friend were to send you the SMF, instead of you purchasing it directly?

Also don't forget to take the opportunity to replace your rear main seal while your doing all the other work.

Unfortunately it would still be very costy with a SPEC clutch/flywheel assembly.
I'm living in Norway, just beside the Swedish border so stock parts won't be any problem to get hold of.
Total est cost for a SM 850 flywheel/"765" pressureplate/30783021 disc would be around 760$ and just the SPEC 2+ clutch is somewhere around 12-1300$....

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Unfortunately it would still be very costy with a SPEC clutch/flywheel assembly.
I'm living in Norway, just beside the Swedish border so stock parts won't be any problem to get hold of.
Total est cost for a SM 850 flywheel/"765" pressureplate/30783021 disc would be around 760$ and just the SPEC 2+ clutch is somewhere around 12-1300$....
Why do you need to upgrade your clutch? What are your plans for power output and car usage?
What he said. ^^^ Unless you're going for massive HP, why not just get the SMF and the OEM sprung clutch? You'll have a little more clutch power than stock but not be out the tons of money for a spec clutch. I know that here in the states the SMF was actually cheaper than the OEM DMF... If you have a friend here in the states they could buy the SMF for you and ship it to avoid the import taxes right?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice.
The plans in the future is a remap an a bigger tubo.
Allready got SS exhaust, K&N filter and FMIC upgrade. No softwareuppgrade yet.
So yes I do need a stronger clutch.
I'm looking into several options here, and I really don't want to go with cerametallic or sinter way. I prefer the smoothness in a organic setup, therefor a bit stronger pressureplate is needed. The "765" will hold for at least +590Nm with organic disc. And I can actually get hold of a brand new for around 430$ which is really cheap for a Sachs sporting pressureplate.
But anyway thanks, I sort of got the answer I were looking for.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Dude, you don't need a stronger clutch for that.

A good man (who shall remain nameless, hopefully he steps in) had an oem clutch on his R making quite a bit more power than that. It didn't start slipping until 100k or 120k miles. An exhaust, filter, and FMIC is only good for TOPS 50 ft-lbs of torque.

You will regret it. A common sentiment among automotive enthusiasts, is to get a significantly stronger/rougher/less civilized clutch while you're in there. You're getting way too much clutch for your application. From what I read, oem is fine for what you're doing. If this car is getting a larger turbo or a clipped wheel, I'd consider it. If this is a track car, yeah go for it. But if this is a street car, don't bother unless you want to get tired of your car and make a really significant compromise.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess you didn't read all above, huh?? :p "The plans in the future is a remap an a bigger tubo."
So why not go for a better/stronger setup?
Anyhow I have sorted it out.
-Flywheel from a late 850 T5 75$
-Sprung clutch disc 30783021 160$
-Sachs raceengineering BMW M5 pressureplate 430$
All in all it's a very strong and cheap uppgrade.
Can't wait to get it installed :p

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Do you know of others that have used the M5 pressure plate?
My concern is the amount of force required to press the diaphragm of the M5 pressure plate. Is it more or less than the stock pressure plate?
In my mind the weak link remains the slave cylinder, and the annular piston seal failed on mine, and I can not help but think that if you have it do more work, than it will fail even sooner. I have no experience to back this up using an M5 pressure plate, just a concern.
I do think the OEM sprung hub disc is the right choice. Let us all know how it all comes together, and how pedal effort is impacted.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This presure plate is very popular in Sweden, and is mounted in many many high performance 850/S/V70 cars. Even the (Audi) 707 PP is popular which its more or less the same just rated a little lower. And as far as I know I haven't heard of any trouble with the releasebearing or exessive pedal force.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I guess you didn't read all above, huh?? :p "The plans in the future is a remap an a bigger tubo."
So why not go for a better/stronger setup?
Anyhow I have sorted it out.
-Flywheel from a late 850 T5 75$
-Sprung clutch disc 30783021 160$
-Sachs raceengineering BMW M5 pressureplate 430$
All in all it's a very strong and cheap uppgrade.
Can't wait to get it installed :p
Sorry I thought you said my plan is NOT. Nm.

The only problem with a heavier duty pressure plate (besides the obvious pedal effort) is that it puts more strain on the main bearings. But if it works for everyone else, that's awesome. Let us know how it comes out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts