SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would the symptoms of worn out springs even be? Just curious. And anyone consider putting a set of AWD non-4c springs in their car to really tighten it up?

·
Registered
547 Posts
What would the symptoms of worn out springs even be? Just curious. And anyone consider putting a set of AWD non-4c springs in their car to really tighten it up?
Nobody goes through the hassle when you can just buy aftermarket springs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well I dunno, I'd thought about this. Want/need new springs but as long as I'm stuck in the driveway I am, lowering is a bad idea.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
We have really soft springs in the R because 4C acts like a nivomat. Most of the work is done by the shock.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The stock R sprigs are naturally soft. So much so that it relies too much on the 4c and wears it out pretty quickly. TME springs have minimal drop while giving you a much better ride.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i swear that in the reaR of my R that it could be lowered like 3"...should I just buy elevate springs and cut them?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Elevate r wagon springs dump it pretty low. I would install them to see and would not advise cutting them. As the rear shock mount is pretty particular on spring mount location.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've heard of a guy cutting springs and his car looks bad ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've heard of a guy cutting springs and his car looks bad ass

And probably rides like ****. I would strongly suggest not doing it to your car. Might be fun in the beginning but can quickly get old.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i swear that in the reaR of my R that it could be lowered like 3"...should I just buy elevate springs and cut them?
I don't know about 3. The IPD springs I have are 1.5ish and i got called a lowrider by a coworker. Lol how the car was when they said that.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've heard bad things about their springs. I would do ipd but I like the stiff ride of the elevate.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I havnt ridden in a car with elevate, I actually like the ride. Next time we meet up I'll take you for a ride so you can feel yourself.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ok sounds good

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, so the rear 4c on the passenger side is leaking. Gonna look at drivers side.

I'm thinking some bilstein sports and hrs or a kW coil over.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Alright, so the rear 4c on the passenger side is leaking. Gonna look at drivers side.

I'm thinking some bilstein sports and hrs or a kW coil over.
That would explain the sagging. Also, redoing all of 4C is cheaper than coilovers... And no fun dash lights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry if this is unrelated, but I don't want to create a new thread in case one already exists that I'm not finding. I have a 2007 R and a previous owner lowered it probably a good 2 inches. On bumps at high speeds, the wheels hit the wheel wells. The struts appear to be stock, but I'm thinking the springs have been cut. There are no warning signals/lights being shown. I'm not quite used to cars like this or the electrical systems involved in the suspension. I'm wondering if I could get away with just putting new springs in it and possibly bump stops if those have been shortened as well. Or have the shocks probably been damaged by being driven with the cut springs? What would have to be done electrically and is it something I could do? I have some mechanical experience. I'm positive I can replace the springs and struts if necessary but am unsure about electrical. Everywhere I have taken it has told me it will cost about $2k to fix, but this seems ridiculous for something that was likely done by some guy in his driveway and the places I have taken it to don't work on cars like this very often either as I live in a very rural area.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wouldn't cut the Elevate Springs. They are pretty low already. Especially on a Estate.......you will rub over speed bumps...etc..(from experience.) I went back to Normal Elevate Springs and I was good to go...Rubbed sometimes if I had people in the back seat..

Not to mention how difficult it would be to get an alignment. You need about 1/2 inch to get it done by a normal shop..............

·
Registered
242 Posts
Elevate r wagon springs dump it pretty low. I would install them to see and would not advise cutting them. As the rear shock mount is pretty particular on spring mount location.
on their website, it's quoted to drop the same in the front and the rear 1.14 f/1.34 r

·
Registered
331 Posts
I too am thinking of non R V70 awd springs and would like to know the answer to your question.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I didn't get the answer to it really. I know that the S60 AWD Eibach lowering springs when put on the S60R have been regarded as too soft.

I'm going to go BC racing coil overs. 7kg fronts, 12kg rears.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts