SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is all stock other than a K&N Filter, and im thinking of getting a strut brace and lowering springs, but I don't know what to get first (i don't have money for both)? Any comments on either of them to help me decide?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Springs? Strut brace? What first? (Jake)

Lowering springs.
You receive instant roi by looks alone http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif
Strutbrace looks nice also, minimum effect with stock suspension, but only when the hood is opened.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: Springs? Strut brace? What first? (Johann)

Wait a minute!

before you run out and get yourself a set of springs, remember this.
With lowering springs you'll need better struts/shocks for the harder springs. Lowering springs will work the stock shocks to death a lot quicker due to their limited travel and harder rate.

Are you sure you want a firmer ride? It is true that you gain quite a bit of performance gain in corner and brake dive, but that is not without a penalty to ride. Are you sure you're willing to deal with that?

A strut brace will help overall stiffness of the chassis, which is always a good thing. Performance wise it will help you out in very fast corners (if you drive near or under legal speeds, the difference isn't appearent) by stablizing the front end and give you much more accurate steering response. You can take corners very fast and still remain control of the car much more easier (atleast on my 850 I found that is true, it is MUCH easier to get the right amount of steering in fast sweeping corners)

As a note it won't help with overall body sways of the car.

I would not recommend getting lowering springs unless you also get shocks, but with sport shocks you're looking at a much improved handling car but also a ride that is quite a bit tougher than stock.

A strut brace will only help you but the effect is not TOO dramatic. Still a worthy upgrade by all means, with no negative side to speak of.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I think sway bars would do more for handling, if that's what you're after. I'm not sure when the redesigned IPD bars will be ready.

Springs will improve the handling and looks, but you should replace the shocks & struts at the same time unless you already have a damper that's meant to be used with lower & stiffer springs.

A strut brace will make an improvement, but I feel that it will do more to a car that's already got some other suspension improvements, such as sway bars or springs.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Springs? Strut brace? What first? (xtremepsionic)

quote:

Wait a minute!

before you run out and get yourself a set of springs, remember this.
With lowering springs you'll need better struts/shocks for the harder springs. Lowering springs will work the stock shocks to death a lot quicker due to their limited travel and harder rate.

Are you sure you want a firmer ride? It is true that you gain quite a bit of performance gain in corner and brake dive, but that is not without a penalty to ride. Are you sure you're willing to deal with that?

A strut brace will help overall stiffness of the chassis, which is always a good thing. Performance wise it will help you out in very fast corners (if you drive near or under legal speeds, the difference isn't appearent) by stablizing the front end and give you much more accurate steering response. You can take corners very fast and still remain control of the car much more easier (atleast on my 850 I found that is true, it is MUCH easier to get the right amount of steering in fast sweeping corners)

As a note it won't help with overall body sways of the car.

I would not recommend getting lowering springs unless you also get shocks, but with sport shocks you're looking at a much improved handling car but also a ride that is quite a bit tougher than stock.

A strut brace will only help you but the effect is not TOO dramatic. Still a worthy upgrade by all means, with no negative side to speak of.
I drove around for 2 and half year with an H&R lowering kit and standard shocks, no problems whatsoever and a very good ride.
Today I would go for an Eibach pro kit.
Shocks are NOt a must but highly adviced.
You can always do better but when on a budget the springs alone are sufficient for the time being.
Lowering springs also change the look of the car and I think it is part of the investment also that you can see the results.
From there on you can work on the actual ride quality of the car but a strut brace at this point brings less effect.
I don't know about the sway bars, is there a difference between US and Euro sway bars?
I never hear people talking about the sways in my area.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Springs? Strut brace? What first? (xtremepsionic)

I'll try and check this week but I bought an ex Police 850 a week ago and one thing that amazes me every day since I bought this car is that it has an extremely tight suspension setup.
The car is high on it's 16" wheels but from day one I am really impressed with the car.
I normally drive a lowered S60 with 18" wheels, Koni's and and Eibach pro kit.
There is body roll in the 850 but not that it gets in the way.
Maybe the car is fitted with thicker sway bars and maybe some older variant of the "Dynamic" chassis.

[Modified by Johann, 6:43 PM 11-18-2002]

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

sway bars definitely will do more than springs. unfortunately...apparently the only aftermarket place for 850 sways is ipd (at least in us)...and they're on their 4th variant of the rear bar. and eta is pushed back as always.

springs will limit roll, but it will also make the ride a bit more jiggly if u stay with stock shocks, or more harsh if u upgrade the shocks too.

in the mean time, the strut brace will stiffen the chassis up front...and considering the front heavy nature of our 850, it might not be bad upgrade. it won't make the roll go away, but it will make turn in a little crisper, and even reduce a little noise (depends if ur car is loose and rattly). but u will feel it either way.

the other thing u could do is upgrade ur shocks/struts. however, this is probably gonna be more costly than springs or sways. just the nature of the function. springs, sways, not much to it...pretty straight-forward...u get a certain spring rate and provide either a linear or progressive rate. u get a bar and make stiff and attach it to the suspension around the wheels (sounds simple doesn't it? but the rear delta link flexes the sway bar way too much and breaks easily, as ipd can tell u). but the shocks and struts require a lot more time figuring out which rebound and compression settings to use, etc. etc.

anyway....if u wanna keep ur ride height, get the strut brace, it'll make it feel just that tad bit stiffer. springs can be had, but if u use stock shocks, bear in mind it'll wear out a little faster than u expect it otherwise. hope that helps. (obtw, u can get a set of t5-r sway bars if u'd like from the dealer, they have it 21, i think, mm up front, 20.8 mm rear. might not be so bad cause it'd prob break less than ipd's)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

i think it's ok. i was under the impression some suspension changes were made along with some cosmetics. but ipd lists their sway bars for 850 as model years 1993-1997. so i guess it's ok...

i'd ask the dealer for a part number and see if u can find it someplace cheap (online perhaps) if u don't have a hookup at the dealer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts