SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to snap a couple of shots of the new ride height. Car is very dirty, still haven't gotten to do the spring cleaning.

I Love these wheels :D

Also added a 300watt factory amp to get a bit more out of my radio. Need to get rid of this wood interior stuff.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
The wood looks good in these as long as you stop and the top of the radio
I suggest removing that crap over the speedo, doors and wherever else it may be and leave the middle sections, that way it looks almost factory.
Without it, that expanse of black is very plain and depressing.

In fact I plan to add the wood on my car in those areas only.
I had an early XC with it done that way and I liked it.

Car and wheels look nice

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Maybe you two should meet up and swap stuff.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wood looks good in these as long as you stop and the top of the radio
I suggest removing that crap over the speedo, doors and wherever else it may be and leave the middle sections, that way it looks almost factory.
Without it, that expanse of black is very plain and depressing.

In fact I plan to add the wood on my car in those areas only.
I had an early XC with it done that way and I liked it.

Car and wheels look nice
if your console is black, not gray, want to swap at Carlisle? :D

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
04, black plastic
I already have my wood kit

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Excellent stance, exactly where I want mine. My springs never settled that far and I'm just about a half inch higher than that.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'll jump in on this, and agree the stance is perfect. I also love the tires, had a few sets of these and was never disappointed.

Keep it up!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Wow, it looks fantastic man! I love what you're doing with this car, keep up the good work!
Those wheels are awesome!
Nicely done.
Thank you kindly!

Excellent stance, exactly where I want mine. My springs never settled that far and I'm just about a half inch higher than that.
When i first dropped the rear of the jack stands i was really disappointed with how little the rear drop. then i rocked the car forward and it sank. Have had absolutely zero rub :D

I'll jump in on this, and agree the stance is perfect. I also love the tires, had a few sets of these and was never disappointed.

Keep it up!
I must admit, after seeing these tires on a blown cobra, and actually seeing how they preformed, i was sold on them based on tread pattern alone. Naturally I had to a set for my subtle Station wagon.

Good work!

I'm interested in those tyres as I've never seen a tread like that?

I am also assuming you did a wheel alignment after the change.
BF Goodrich gForce Ultra Performance Summer Tires!

You are supposed to align the car after????

i did indeed :D

·
Registered
578 Posts
Need to get rid of this wood interior stuff.
Agreed! When I got my car it had the plastic "wood" overlays and to me it looked cheap and it was hard to keep clean around the edges. If you do decide to remove it, be prepared. It takes ALOT of effort and when all was said and done I ended up replacing the three vent inserts due to the adhesive residue left behind. Well worth it though IMO.

Also, your car looks stunning. In a few months I should also have brembo calipers and a rear wing installed. I am still undecided on what I want to replace the 17" pegs with but I have always been partial to the medusas.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
She's getting purdy. For sure ditch the wood trim.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I used to think driving a station wagon was for old people, until one day I had a chance to drive the V70 my dad bought. Now I'm driving an AWD version and loving it.

In one of my former lives I was an architect, with lots of design schooling, won some awards sort of thing, ran a large office, yadda yadda. When you see an ultra clean design it generally takes a lot of restraint because people are tempted to keep on adding things and you get to a point of diminshing returns.

Personally I don't really "like" the fact that my XC70 has some added plastic features your car does not have, but alas, I need the AWD where I live and hey it is still a very nice design. The detail around the windows for instance, is uber-clean, no chrome or stainless steel trim, very nice in the German Bauhaus design, also shared by many Scandinavian designers. This model of V70 is also considerably cleaner than the model that followed, so we have the "good one". Why they (Ford?) departed from the super clean is beyond me, but Ford designers just can not leave well-enough alone, just look at virtually any Lincoln, either the front end or rear end is grotesque in some way, and they have ornamentation tacked on most everything they do. Oh well, Ford ownership did have some upside too.

Very very very nice job you have done with your car. It's a keeper for sure. Bauhaus design philosophy: "less is more". Porsche used this philosophy for many years until they built a pig called the Cayenne, and their byline at the time was "forget the unnecessary", and you would get into one of those cars and look around and it was "Germanic austere" to the point of looking plain. People at the time didn't seem to realize you had to pay extra to get a high quality plain car, lol. Your restraint has produced fabulous results, please continue to avoid the unnecessary and stick to pure functionalism. Sure looks good.

best,

P

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used to think driving a station wagon was for old people, until one day I had a chance to drive the V70 my dad bought. Now I'm driving an AWD version and loving it.

In one of my former lives I was an architect, with lots of design schooling, won some awards sort of thing, ran a large office, yadda yadda. When you see an ultra clean design it generally takes a lot of restraint because people are tempted to keep on adding things and you get to a point of diminshing returns.

Personally I don't really "like" the fact that my XC70 has some added plastic features your car does not have, but alas, I need the AWD where I live and hey it is still a very nice design. The detail around the windows for instance, is uber-clean, no chrome or stainless steel trim, very nice in the German Bauhaus design, also shared by many Scandinavian designers. This model of V70 is also considerably cleaner than the model that followed, so we have the "good one". Why they (Ford?) departed from the super clean is beyond me, but Ford designers just can not leave well-enough alone, just look at virtually any Lincoln, either the front end or rear end is grotesque in some way, and they have ornamentation tacked on most everything they do. Oh well, Ford ownership did have some upside too.

Very very very nice job you have done with your car. It's a keeper for sure. Bauhaus design philosophy: "less is more". Porsche used this philosophy for many years until they built a pig called the Cayenne, and their byline at the time was "forget the unnecessary", and you would get into one of those cars and look around and it was "Germanic austere" to the point of looking plain. People at the time didn't seem to realize you had to pay extra to get a high quality plain car, lol. Your restraint has produced fabulous results, please continue to avoid the unnecessary and stick to pure functionalism. Sure looks good.

best,

P
Hahah,

i went to school for Industrial Design, and this is almost the exact lecture that i received from one of my studio professors in regards to my previous V70 T5M. even down to, "i used to think station wagons were for old people"

Thanks for the kind words, i hope my design background shows a bit in this cars execution.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts