SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
No, they will not lower the car. They are slightly stiffer. We're talking ~5% as I recall. Sport will lower slightly & are about 10% stiffer.

Used springs are fine. Rust is what kills them so less is more.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Are you sure sport is greater than dynamic? Because... dynamic sway bars are larger than sport, so I'm not sure that sport is the highest level. Seems like the biggest sway bars would be tied with the stiffer springs (right?). That being said, my V50 supposedly has dynamic suspension (confirmed larger bars) but does not appear lowered and is softer riding than my comfort suspensioned S40. So... :confused:

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Sport bars are bigger. As you know Volvo doesn't have only 3 sets of bars or springs corresponding to Comfort Dynamic & Sport. That would be way too easy. Many times the same part number will appear in two categories. A certain bar may be designated Sport for a MT 2.4i while it would be Dynamic on a T5 AT AWD. In general though the groups do go in order.

AFAIK dynamic springs will never give any kind of significant lowering while sport may. The same caveats apply here also though. If you grab Sport springs from a T5 AT AWD & install them on your MT 2.4i you will not see the same lowering effect as the 2.4i weighs significantly less in the front.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I wouldn't say the springs on our car with dynamic give any sort of lowering effect, but they aren't soft either. The ride on this car feels very similar to our S60 T5's sport suspension, although the S40 seems more refined.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Sport bars are bigger. As you know Volvo doesn't have only 3 sets of bars or springs corresponding to Comfort Dynamic & Sport. That would be way too easy. Many times the same part number will appear in two categories. A certain bar may be designated Sport for a MT 2.4i while it would be Dynamic on a T5 AT AWD. In general though the groups do go in order.
That's just damn confusing and borderline illogical. Perhaps this will muddy the waters even more - when I ordered 'sport' SB bushings from Tasca, they were too small for the 24mm 'sport' front SB I had. Then when I ordered 'dynamic' bushings, they fit. :eek: Now with my 'dynamic' suspensioned V50 T5 AWD, the SB are the same as what I perceived as 'sport' before - 24mm front 21mm rear.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
so maybe because of the extra beef of the v50 awd, the 'sport' SB are just considered 'dynamic', but with a S40 2.4i those same spec bars are considered 'sport' (?)

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Shameless plug: I have a set of the OEM 'sport' swaybars for sale, if anyone is interested. 24mm front 21mm back

·
Registered
138 Posts
Are you sure sport is greater than dynamic? Because... dynamic sway bars are larger than sport, so I'm not sure that sport is the highest level. Seems like the biggest sway bars would be tied with the stiffer springs (right?). That being said, my V50 supposedly has dynamic suspension (confirmed larger bars) but does not appear lowered and is softer riding than my comfort suspensioned S40. So... :confused:
I recently had to change front springs on my '05 S40 T5 AWD M6 with Sport Package (supposedly came with the Dynamic tuned suspension). Based on VIN etc, the dealer said I have the Comfort springs! What did I actually buy with my Sport package??? Misleading brochure I'd say.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
If you only supplied your VIN who knows what you got. It's all about the "Build Plate". Supply your number & we can decipher for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts