SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, buying this sport kit and the guy isn't sure if it's the 04 year or 05+ year rear lip. Here's the pic of the part number. This is the rear lip, can't find it anywhere online. Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
If the top portion that sticks to the bumper has adhesive or double side tape. It is a 2004. Which I will buy from you.

If it has all clips and snaps into the upper portion of the bumper it is 2005+. I will still buy it from you.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Post a pic of the entire back of the piece.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the top portion that sticks to the bumper has adhesive or double side tape. It is a 2004. Which I will buy from you.

If it has all clips and snaps into the upper portion of the bumper it is 2005+. I will still buy it from you.
Well I just paid the guy for it either way. It's on it's way shipping to me. I just need to know whether I need an 05 bumper or not, (I have an 04)

Hers the bumper and lip from it.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Appears to be 04

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The rear valence comes off the bumper for the 05+ valence. So if that valence was on that bumper the exhaust trim would not be there. And I don't see any of the tabs on the bumper for the 05+ to clip on.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Well I just paid the guy for it either way. It's on it's way shipping to me. I just need to know whether I need an 05 bumper or not, (I have an 04)

That is a 2004!

·
Registered
485 Posts

2004 rear bumper cover (BC) without the body kit was a one piece cover. The Sport Kit (SK) lower valance has to go over the cover and attached at the crease in the cover about half way down. In your photo, of the BC, that big cut out section on the right side of the photo seems to be required on the '04 to make room for the muffler and tails pipes. 05+ the BC was a two part deal, so you could remove the "regular lower valance and replace it with the SK. No placing the SK valance over the stock valance.

The following photos are of a '04

I suspect the BC you have is 04 but the SK valance is coup well be the same for all years EXCEPT the 04 had removable exhaust outlet port on the passenger side. ours looks like it does not have that.

This is a pic of the inside of the SK showing the same hacking of the "undervalance" of the stock BC, driver side...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I bought just the lip, and not the bumper in the pics.
And I have an 04'. So what your saying is I'm going to have to cut away the stock valence to put the lip on? Or I'm going to have to get a new bumper?

·
Registered
675 Posts
That's an 04 because some idiot cut the stock valence around the exhaust ....but if you had the chance you DO NOT CUT THE STOCK VALENCE ....the exhaust molding can be popped out with a bone tool or a butter knife

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's an 04 because some idiot cut the stock valence around the exhaust ....but if you had the chance you DO NOT CUT THE STOCK VALENCE ....the exhaust molding can be popped out with a bone tool or a butter knife
So when I get the lip, I'm going to pop out the exhaust molding and then install the lip... Right??

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
When you buy the valence new it comes with some bolts and rivets and 3m tape along the top. So you will need to get some 3m automotive tape and some rivets to hold it well. If you try just using self taping screws it doesn't hold as strong.

And yes just pop off the exhaust surround.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well I bought just the lip, and not the bumper in the pics.
And I have an 04'. So what your saying is I'm going to have to cut away the stock valence to put the lip on? Or I'm going to have to get a new bumper?

What I think you have is a 04 BC and a 05+ lower SK valance. What I don't know (I sold the 04 BC in the photos to a guy who wanted to do dual exhaust when a 07 SK bumper in the correct color came along for my 07 2.5T) is how, in detail, how the SK valance is attached OVER the 04 BC. There are like 15 tabs on the 07 version as the upper BC has the same matching tab receivers, and it just snaps in.

It's good to hear that the hacking of the BC is not necessary... the photo you used was and the one I had was so figured that was just SOP.

On the 04 BC, with a 04 SK valance, which has just 6 or 7 tabs, you will need to cut slots in the BC for the SK tabs. With the 05+ SK valance, you either remove half of the tabs and cut slots, or get a 05+ BC.

Now I'm not trying to sell you one, but as it turns out I have the upper BC from an 07 w/parking assist "things" from which I got the lower SK valance in Ti gray (paint code 455). I can send you photos if interested (or anyone else... want to get it out of the garage)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The 04 sk valence has no tabs... just attached with tape along the top

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
So when I get the lip, I'm going to pop out the exhaust molding and then install the lip... Right??

Yep, the 04 Exhaust molding comes out easy with a butter knife. Then this new lip/apron/valance goes over the bottom part of the bumper cover.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts