SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if it is possible to recalibrate the speedometer either mechanically or electronically on a current generation Volvo? I ask because the speedo on my MY 2012 XC70 reads c. 2 mph too high across the entire speed band. For example, when the ACC is set for 65 mph, the tach reads 2K, which is correct for 65 mph, but the speedo read 67 mph. None of my other four current vintage Volvos had this issue. I fully expect my dealer and VCNA will tell me that is normal and within spec, just like five quarts of oil consumed between service intervals is "normal". Many thanks for any input.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I saw that my 2012 S60T5 (OSD) metric display was off 2KPH compared to my GPS and roadside radar.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just curious about the rpm you mentioned: are you basing the expected 65mph on gear and rpm combinations?

I'll test with MY12 T6 and let you know what I see.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
On the last gen models, one would literally remove the needle from the cluster and reposition it per Volvo instructions. I wonder if it's the same deal for the current speedometer with the partially hidden needle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have you tried checking it against a GPS, rather than a computed value? I say that because my V70 is dead nuts on at 60, 65, 70mph when checked against my GPS. I have never seen a speedo this accurate before - usually they do read 2-3 mph high at highway speeds.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know what US regulations say - they may even differ from one state to another, but on Volvo's home market it's a requirement that the speedometer must not indicate too little, regardless of which of the legal tires you use on the car. Thus the manufacturer has to let the speed show a little too much for most tire/pressure combinations, not to violate the regulations.

So yes, up to about 10 km/h too much at speeds around 100 km/h can be expected, even if it's usually more like 2-5 km/h too much.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
apersson850: My digital speedometer (analog is in miles) was indicating 2KPH lower than the GPS and roadside radar.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Normal tires, or very large rims?
My car has the gauge only, since there's no use for anything but km/h here. So it's not that easy to tell exactly, but it displays a few km/h too much.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For those posters who were kind enough to reply to my original post back in early July, I thought you might like to know that I finally got this speedometer problem resolved. After a month of unproductive negotiating with VCNA's service techs, the very persistent service manager at my dealership took my claim to Volvo Customer Care, ultimately got the problem documented and acknowledged, and finally was given permission to replace the entire DIM. Apparently replacing a faulty speedometer is not done any more: it is faster and probably cheaper to replace the entire instrumentation panel.

It took two weeks for my dealership to get a replacement unit, which makes me think that VCNA didn't stock the part and it had to be sent from VCC. The good news is that the new unit was installed yesterday and the new speedometer is right on the nose amd absolutely accurate. The bad news is that the speedo in the 2012 S80 loaner that I had while my car was in the shop was off by exactly the same amount, 2 mph across the entire band including at standstill, as the original one in my XC70!

My best guess is that Torslanda got a bad batch of American-market DIMs from their OEM supplier late last year (my car was built in December 2011) and was sticking them in US-market XC70s and S80s, either oblivious to the inaccuracy issue or else figuring that the average American customer probably wouldn't even notice the problem or bother to complain about it. At least in my case they were dead wrong. I'm happy to finally have an accurate speedometer, but not so much about the time and amount of effort it took to get the problem acknowledged and resolved.

Curiously enough, two weeks ago, some three days after my service manager contacted Customer Care, I got an automated E-mail inquiry asking about my satisfaction with their response. Since I hadn't actually contacted them myself, nor had VCNA yet been able to supply a replacement part, let alone have it installed, I thought the questionnaire a bit premature, to say the least. Apparently they are slow to get service problems resolved, but very prompt in soliciting kudos from disgruntled customers.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thx for the follow up. While some might say it was a minor issue, I'm of your mindset. Any gauge should be calibrated properly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The speedometer should indeed indicate a couple of km/h too much, in almost all cases, in order never to show too little, regardless of tire size, tire air pressure, tire wear and whatever other conditions may affect it.
Thus 2 mi/h too much seems perfect - no risk of overspeeding inadvertently.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The speedometer should indeed indicate a couple of km/h too much, in almost all cases, in order never to show too little, regardless of tire size, tire air pressure, tire wear and whatever other conditions may affect it.
Thus 2 mi/h too much seems perfect - no risk of overspeeding inadvertently.
Sorry, but I would have to disagree with you on both philosophical and empirical grounds. What you are advocating is akin to the person who sets all of his clocks ahead by five minutes so he won't be late for an appointment. Perhaps it is a harmless enough bit of self-deception, but I much prefer to know exactly what time it is and exactly how fast I am driving, if only to avoid having to do constant mental adjustments. I can deal with reality.

All personal preferences aside, a more important bit of evidence is that, on all four of my other modern-era Volvos including another 2012 model (see my signature below), the speedometers were completely accurate. It seems highly unlike that Volvo has suddenly decided to use speedometers that read 2 mph too high. The much more likely conclusion is that Torslanda got a bad batch from their supplier late last year. The fact that the newer replacement unit in my XC70 is completely accurate is further evidence that they have worked their way through the bad units and the current crop are once again accurate. Given the just-in-time logistics used by most auto assemblers today, VCC probably didn't have the option of sending the defective DIMs back to their supplier without stopping production for several weeks to await replacement units.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Volvo does have a software update to calibrate for 18-inch wheels on the C30, there may be one for the V70/XC70 for the optional larger wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts